Pesto Potato Cups Recipe - T&T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
A member was asking for ideas for red potatoes, & I remembered making this one awhile back. I used 8 small reds, & ready made/store bought pesto. You can adjust the amounts to your liking. The potatoes can be served as a side dish (I served them with lemon chicken), or as an appy -- fill the potato cups with ingredients other than pesto, i.e. caviar & a dollop of sour cream.

*Note to Mods - I don't recall the source, but if the recipe exists somewhere, sorry. Replace with a link as you see fit. Thanks.

Pesto Potato Cups

18 baby red potatoes
1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 peeled garlic cloves
Salt and pepper, to taste

Scrub potatoes, cut each potato in half, and place in boiling water. Cook until fork-tender.

Meanwhile, in a food processor combine basil, olive oil, 3 Tbl. red wine vinegar, 6 Tbl. pine nuts, 4 Tbl. Parmesan cheese and garlic. Process until blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Drain potatoes, and when cool enough to handle, scoop out a small amount from each potato half to form a cup. Sprinkle with remaining vinegar and toss to coat.

Fill each potato half with pesto, sprinkle with remaining pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Serve warm or room temperature.

Here is a link for other Pesto fillings - Artichoke and Lemon or Sun-Dried Tomato are a few alternatives to use in place of the basil.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/78883-post1.html

Another filling for the reds as a party appy - salmon & dill -- lots of possibilities.

Last edited:
Thanks! I was looking for some red potatoe ideas. It's very interesting to read about everyones ideas and experiences. Sometimes you have maybe 1-4 ways of cooking something and it's nice to know about a few more.

legend_018 said:
Thanks! I was looking for some red potatoe ideas. It's very interesting to read about everyones ideas and experiences. Sometimes you have maybe 1-4 ways of cooking something and it's nice to know about a few more.

Legend, I remembered your post & meant to go back & mention this one. So glad you found it. ;) There is another recipe I wanted to suggest for red potatoes. Will go back, when I have a chance, and share.

Mish,
I saw this when you posted and didn't get a chance to reply. My family loves pesto and I'm sure this will bring some happy smiles to their faces. I'm going to plan on this in the next several weeks. Thanks for the great idea.

kadesma;)

kadesma said:
Mish,
I saw this when you posted and didn't get a chance to reply. My family loves pesto and I'm sure this will bring some happy smiles to their faces. I'm going to plan on this in the next several weeks. Thanks for the great idea.

kadesma;)

Forgot to mention - cut a small horizontal slice off the bottom of each potato cup, so they don't roll off the plate :ohmy: It's so quick and easy, makes a nice little bite. Another thought for a filling - remember good old creamed peas & onions? (A few shrooms can't hurt.) Hope you and the little ones have some fun with it. ;)

Fill each potato half with pesto, sprinkle with remaining pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Serve warm or room temperature.

This could certainly revive the potato. No one has asked for a baked potato in a long time. The timing for the hot twice baked potatoes was a hassle.
We sort of drifted into sweet potatoes and yams.

StirBlue said:

This could certainly revive the potato. No one has asked for a baked potato in a long time. The timing for the hot twice baked potatoes was a hassle.
We sort of drifted into sweet potatoes and yams.

StirBlue, I agree. Why do it twice, if I can do it once. You gave me an idea for Loaded Potato Cups -- like loaded Potato Skins. While the taters are cooking, fry up some bacon & crumble, spoon it into the cups. Sprinkle on some shredded cheddar, place under broiler till cheese melts. Top with sour cream & chives, and walla - Loaded Potato cups. Probably faster than fiddling with the skins.

I keep regular taters around almost all the time - 5 or 10 lb bags... so I have a few regular tater recipes. One that's on my list is Greek Lemon Potatoes. Anyhew, hope you like them. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom