"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pico de Gallo Style peppers

Always select fresh Jalapeno Peppers without blemishes, bright in color, smooth skin, large in size. Remember to always use some type of glove to protect your hands while cleaning peppers. Prepare peppers by removing stems, washing in cool water, placing in colander to allow drying. Cut in half, length wise. Use a small apple corer, a knife or a spoon works well, to remove all seeds and veins, creating bowls with the peppers.
Pico de Gallo Peppers

10 to 12 Jalapeno peppers (reserve 2 to 3 peppers to be chopped)
4 medium Tomatoes diced and drained
1 medium Onion diced
1 bunch fresh Cilantro chopped
2 medium cloves of Garlic chopped finely
Juice of 1 Lemon or Lime
Coarse Pepper and Salt to taste
Olive Oil (for your griddle)
Tortilla chips (I like the Tostitos Brand White Corn Restaurant Style)
Mix Tomatoes, Onion, Chopped peppers, Cilantro, Garlic, and seasoning together in medium size bowl; pour Lemon juice on top then set aside.
Slice remaining peppers lengthwise creating bowls. Salt and fill liberally with mixture; pre-heat griddle to medium (gas, electric stove, or BBQ grill) then place into oiled griddle for approximately 5 to 7 minutes until peppers have browned.
Reserve remaining Pico de Gallo to eat with chips
Serve peppers on plate of tortilla chips. Allow some cooling time before eating.
Top with sour Cream for added taste.
Don’t forget to refill your griddle with additional peppers. One serving is never enough.

CAUTION! This recipe is very addictive. You may find yourself skipping an entire meal just to enjoy a large plate of these wonderful peppers.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pico de Gallo 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	4847  

Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Executive Chef

ooooh they look very spicy.....but attractive!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Executive Chef

That looks fabulous. I hate that I'm such a wimp and can't handle spicy food. Love the taste but the heat makes by body hurt.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

Those sound excellent!
Silly question - after they're filled, do you ever find that they tip over, due to the pepper being rounded on the bottom?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Executive Chef

all you would need to do is give it a foot. On the bottom barely slice off a sliver of pepper to create a flat surface so it doesn't roll around and stays in place, just be sure not to cut through to the center. I do this also with bell peppers and zuccinis when I stuff them

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up

Hey Guy's
Once you remove the seeds and veins then sear the pepper quickly, they are very mild, Searing a jalapeno quickly set the natural sugars in the pepper for a sweeter, fruitier flavor. It's really hard to describe the taste, although it's much different than the pickled or raw pepper.
The griddle I us for cooking peppers has depression in the shape of the jalapeno to hold them upright and to blister them evenly. It's made just for cooking fresh peppers this way.

Thanks
The Pepperman
Old 08-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperman View Post
Hey Guy's
Once you remove the seeds and veins then sear the pepper quickly, they are very mild, Searing a jalapeno quickly set the natural sugars in the pepper for a sweeter, fruitier flavor. It's really hard to describe the taste, although it's much different than the pickled or raw pepper.
The griddle I us for cooking peppers has depression in the shape of the jalapeno to hold them upright and to blister them evenly. It's made just for cooking fresh peppers this way.

Thanks
The Pepperman
I'm a wimp. I can't take any kind of pepper straight. Not raw, cooked, or even somewhere in between. I can't even eat deep fried stuffed peppers. Green peppers are too spicy for me. I have to put lime on my Pico or it's too hot.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I'm a wimp. I can't take any kind of pepper straight. Not raw, cooked, or even somewhere in between. I can't even eat deep fried stuffed peppers. Green peppers are too spicy for me. I have to put lime on my Pico or it's too hot.
Green peppers????? Spicy????? I do agree that sometimes green peppers are bitter. Have you tried the baby capsicums? Usually found in a plastic container of assorted colors. This might be an option for you. They are normally red, orange, and yellow - - - never green. I guess you could scoop out a roma tomato and do the same thing though?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I love pico de gallo, but always look for jalapenos with corking, that way they give a fair amount of heat.

Tags
None