"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-16-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
Question POLK SALAD, what is it??

Some freind was telling me about Polk salad, and i have never heard of it! He said maybe just the Hillbillies eat it? He was offered some and said no thanks , ha ha ha . I was just wondering if Anyone can tell me about what they know about it? I'm a Southerner, and consider myself more of a Southern chef, but, i have no ideas what Polk Salad is. I know i could look it up and find details . But, i'm very interested in knowing how many people know what it is as well!!

Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
Master Chef

My husband grew up eating this, and no, he's no hillbilly. lol
It is a wild grass that grows that you have to clean VERY good as not to get VERY sick from it. I never ate the stuff and my husband thought I was crazy. The poke is a paper bag that you use to gather it in.

http://web.ask.com/fr?u=http%3A%2F%2...oke%20Salad&mb=

Old 07-16-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Executive Chef

You have to be careful in which leaves you use. I can't keep them straight, but I think you need to use the young tendar ones, otherwise they are poisonus and can kill you.

Some years ago, a boy scout master kid some kids by fixing polk salad and used the wrong leaves.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:16 PM   #4
Master Chef

Good website Texasgirl! And you are right Raine - it's the young tender leaves in the center that are only 2-4 inches long that are the "safest" to eat - and only before it develops it's berries. When I was a kid Dad was stationed in Albany, Georgia and my Grandmothers came out and spent the summer with us. They got all excited that the field beside our house was full of pokeweed - and they took me with them several times when they went out picking.

All I remember about the preparation was that it was boiled a few minutes, drained and rinsed, then boiled again - about 4 times, to get rid of the toxins. Then, they added it to a cast iron skillet and finished cooking it in bacon grease with diced bacon and onion. I think they also added some vinegar - but I don't remember all the details exactly (that was about 47 years ago!).
Old 07-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I eat poke all the time. I have never gotten sick from any of the leaves. The young ones are the most tender. Clean the leaves good then boil well. The traditional southern Poke Sallet calls for sauteing the greens in bacon grease then serve with chopped boiled egg. It's delicious. Remember the song "Poke Sallet Annie"?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Yes, i was singing that song as during my previous reply.

chomp, chomp
Old 07-19-2005, 12:01 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

is there any reason to eat these possibly poisonous leaves? seems kinda dumb if there ain't...
Old 07-19-2005, 01:47 AM   #8
Master Chef

For the same reason some folk eat Spam. Once upon a time, people actually went hungry. Poke salat was simply a result of people being hungry, then they develop a taste for something they once HAD to eat. I've actually never heard of anyone dying from the stuff, and believe me, I've had my share of buddies who were raised on it back in the days when Appalachia was truly poor. There's a song out there about Poke Salad Annie, and I'm trying to remember which CD it is on. Brother! I'm going to have to listen to a lot of music this week to find the song!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:49 AM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Moved to vegetable forum
Old 07-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Only the berries and stalks will make you sick. Here in the south many people (old folks) say it's like a tonic and their body craves it. I personally think it's very tasty.

Tags
None