"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
View Poll Results: What Vegetables Do You Grow In Your Garden?
Tomatoes 4 11.43%
Zucchini / Squash / Cucumbers, etc. 0 0%
Herbs 2 5.71%
Berries 1 2.86%
Bell Peppers / Hot Peppers 1 2.86%
Fruit Trees (Plums / Peaches/ Lemons, etc.) 0 0%
Lettuce / Cabbage, etc. 2 5.71%
2 or 3 of these 6 17.14%
4 or more of these 15 42.86%
That's what the produce dept. is for! 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #11
Executive Chef
I have tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, carrotts, scallions, and eggplant. This is not a great year for my veggie garden because we had so much rain.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:29 PM   #12
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I don't have a garden this year but I do have 3 pepper plants, dill, parsley, & strawberries all in pots. The peppers I forgot to label but I know that I have cayanne & hot banana peppers, just not sure how many of each.

"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by corazon90
what do you use these currants and gooseberries for? Recently they've had red currants as well as gooseberries at my farmer's market but I don't know what I would do with them. I love black currants (I'm a sucker for that black currant juice they sell there in Scotland but I can't find it in the US). Come to think of it, I'm a sucker for Scottish food, especially chocolate biscuits and Scottish sweets.
Gooseberries are wonderful in a pie or in a fool, so is white or redcurrant. I add redcurrants to a rhubarb pie. I make redcurrant jelly to go with venison or lamb. I have dessert gooseberries, which you eat like grapes - as well as cooking goosberries. I make goosberry jam, too!

Blackcurrant juice is very popular here for children Ribena is the trade name! I also make a blackcurrant sauce for ice-cream...

Lots and lots of recipes for soft fruits - after all, it's what Scotland grows to perfection :D
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #14
Master Chef
Corazon, my dad used to love gooseberry pie. You stem the berries, cook with a good bit of sugar until they turn pink, and put it a piecrust. Put a few pats of butter on top, cover with another crust, and bake.
Best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Middie, you're about the same latitude as I am, so you can probably expect tomatoes around the first of August, depending on the variety of your tomato plant. Some take longer to mature than others.
Some people are starting to get ripe tomatoes here already, but I don't put my garden out until mid-May, because I don't want to fight the weather, which is very undependable here in the spring. It turned out that this year I could have put them out April 1, but you never know.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:13 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Just peppers.

6 sweet yellow banana plants

6 jalapeno pepper plants

1 Habenero pepper plant

and 1 cowhorn pepper plant
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Blackcurrant juice is very popular here for children Ribena is the trade name!
I suppose I am still a child at heart, maybe that is why is still like it so much. My mom grew up in Montrose and we've been to visit a number of times. My cousins that live there can't get enough of that iron bru but I think that stuff is gross. I'll still with the Ribena!
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
3 sugar snack tomato plants, 3 cherries, 2 Wisconsin tomatoes and 1 habenero pepper. All in 5 gallon buckets...
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
We have tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon,basil, parsley, thyme, marjoram,mint, sage, peaches, nectarines, apricot, meyer lemon. fuji and for the life of me another apple tree I can't name and a tangerine. I want to add to the garden next year and plan on lettuce in the spring as well as more and different herbs, and corn also I want to try some potatoes again..I did that year ago and we just loved them.. I'm also planting some artichoke aagain..Sorry to have not done that sooner.I love gardening, it just makes you feel alive.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
mj mine's in a 5 gallon bucket i took from work too lol
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:53 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
ok, where do i start. i have 27 tomato plants and 4 buckets with extra plants that are beginning to produce (8 varieties: big boy, supersteak, giant belgium, macedonian giants, roma, grape, early girl, and cherry).

i also have 8 zucchini plants, 2 trellises of stringbeans, 1 trellis (6 plants) of burpless cucumbers, 4 japanese white eggplants, 4 italian black classic eggplants.

as far as peppers go: 5 jupiter green bell, 4 yellow bell, 4 giant red marconi, 6 habanero, 6 red hot cherry, 9 macedonian white, and 9 macedonian yellow wax peppers.

there's also a a row of romaine lettuce, and about 12 different kinds of basil.

in my herb garden, i have flat leaf parsley, white sage, rosemary, and thyme (hey, you goin' to scarborough fair?), and cilantro, wild shallots, mint, and parsley root.

oops, and i can't forget about the black, pink, and red raspberries, and the apple tree.

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote