Poll: Vegetables in your garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Vegetables Do You Grow In Your Garden?

• Total voters

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Which of the following do you have growing in your garden?
*There are only 10 choices in a poll, so obviously there aren't enough. But, out of those listed, what do you have?

I have mostly tomatoes, but also a few different bell peppers, jalepenos and a couple of other hot peppers, strawberries, mints and basil.

Last edited:
I did not do as much this year as I did last year. Right now I have tomatoes, brussel sprouts, cucumbers, ancho chili peppers, zucchini, squash and lots of herbs.

Edited to add that I forgot I also have beans in my garden. I knew I was forgetting something.

Last edited:
Tomatoes, jalapenos, basil, thyme and rosemary. The basil isn't going to make it. Some critters keep eating the leaves.

Andy M. said:
....The basil isn't going to make it. Some critters keep eating the leaves.

That's me, sorry Andy, but your basil just looked so yummy....

GB - I LOVE brussels sprouts!

I have tomatoes: 6 Roma, 1 cherry, 1 supersonic, 1 Park's Whopper, and 1 beefsteak.
I have peppers: 6 each of red, golden and green...and one jalapeno in a big pot.
In addition, I have one hill of zucchini and some herbs: sage, dill, Italian Parsley and sweet basil.

Tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, runner beans, french dwarf beans, peas, soft fruits - strawberries, raspberries, black and white currants, gooseberries, loganberries, apples, pears and 3 different plum varieties. Aubergines (for the first time this year - really slow, but I'm not sure that the fruits will grow well in this wet, mild climate - although I started them in the greenhouse! and fennel. Herbs - mint, basil (green and purple) flat leaf parsley, coriander. Other shrubby herbs like thyme and rosemary are permanent fixtures.

Ishbel said:
black and white currants, gooseberries,

Ishbel-
what do you use these currants and gooseberries for? Recently they've had red currants as well as gooseberries at my farmer's market but I don't know what I would do with them. I love black currants (I'm a sucker for that black currant juice they sell there in Scotland but I can't find it in the US). Come to think of it, I'm a sucker for Scottish food, especially chocolate biscuits and Scottish sweets.

7 or 8 tomato plants. 2 cherry/grape. A big boy and the rest heirlooms.

Bell peppers, banana peppers, jalepenos and habarneros. The habs may have been done in by the noreaster and the 45 degree temps right after planting. They look ill.

Basil (lots and I have those same bugs, too, Andy), rosemary, cilantro, parsley, oregano, thyme, lemongrass (thanks to the nice DC folks I have loads of it now).

Romaine (eaten), arugula (didnt come up like I had wanted), spinach (i am eating it basically every day), garden cress (was good till it bolted).

Onions. Cauliflower. Turnips.

all i have is a tomato plant... one. it was given to me from the bf's garandmother. it was just about dead about 3 weeks ago. now it's growing like mad !! still no fruit though. it's about 2 feet high. how much longer before i get fruit ?

middie said:
all i have is a tomato plant... one. it was given to me from the bf's garandmother. it was just about dead about 3 weeks ago. now it's growing like mad !! still no fruit though. it's about 2 feet high. how much longer before i get fruit ?

August and September. I have small fruit on most of my plants. The cherries are juuuuuuust starting to turn red.

Think lots tomatoes for Labor Day

I have tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, carrotts, scallions, and eggplant. This is not a great year for my veggie garden because we had so much rain.

I don't have a garden this year but I do have 3 pepper plants, dill, parsley, & strawberries all in pots. The peppers I forgot to label but I know that I have cayanne & hot banana peppers, just not sure how many of each.

corazon90 said:
Ishbel-
what do you use these currants and gooseberries for? Recently they've had red currants as well as gooseberries at my farmer's market but I don't know what I would do with them. I love black currants (I'm a sucker for that black currant juice they sell there in Scotland but I can't find it in the US). Come to think of it, I'm a sucker for Scottish food, especially chocolate biscuits and Scottish sweets.

Gooseberries are wonderful in a pie or in a fool, so is white or redcurrant. I add redcurrants to a rhubarb pie. I make redcurrant jelly to go with venison or lamb. I have dessert gooseberries, which you eat like grapes - as well as cooking goosberries. I make goosberry jam, too!

Blackcurrant juice is very popular here for children Ribena is the trade name! I also make a blackcurrant sauce for ice-cream...

Lots and lots of recipes for soft fruits - after all, it's what Scotland grows to perfection :D:mrgreen:

Corazon, my dad used to love gooseberry pie. You stem the berries, cook with a good bit of sugar until they turn pink, and put it a piecrust. Put a few pats of butter on top, cover with another crust, and bake.
Best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Middie, you're about the same latitude as I am, so you can probably expect tomatoes around the first of August, depending on the variety of your tomato plant. Some take longer to mature than others.
Some people are starting to get ripe tomatoes here already, but I don't put my garden out until mid-May, because I don't want to fight the weather, which is very undependable here in the spring. It turned out that this year I could have put them out April 1, but you never know.

Just peppers.

6 sweet yellow banana plants

6 jalapeno pepper plants

1 Habenero pepper plant

and 1 cowhorn pepper plant

Ishbel said:
Blackcurrant juice is very popular here for children Ribena is the trade name!

I suppose I am still a child at heart, maybe that is why is still like it so much. My mom grew up in Montrose and we've been to visit a number of times. My cousins that live there can't get enough of that iron bru but I think that stuff is gross. I'll still with the Ribena!

3 sugar snack tomato plants, 3 cherries, 2 Wisconsin tomatoes and 1 habenero pepper. All in 5 gallon buckets...:rolleyes:

We have tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon,basil, parsley, thyme, marjoram,mint, sage, peaches, nectarines, apricot, meyer lemon. fuji and for the life of me another apple tree I can't name:ohmy: and a tangerine. I want to add to the garden next year and plan on lettuce in the spring as well as more and different herbs, and corn also I want to try some potatoes again..I did that year ago and we just loved them.. I'm also planting some artichoke aagain..Sorry to have not done that sooner.I love gardening, it just makes you feel alive.
kadesma

ok, where do i start. i have 27 tomato plants and 4 buckets with extra plants that are beginning to produce (8 varieties: big boy, supersteak, giant belgium, macedonian giants, roma, grape, early girl, and cherry).

i also have 8 zucchini plants, 2 trellises of stringbeans, 1 trellis (6 plants) of burpless cucumbers, 4 japanese white eggplants, 4 italian black classic eggplants.

as far as peppers go: 5 jupiter green bell, 4 yellow bell, 4 giant red marconi, 6 habanero, 6 red hot cherry, 9 macedonian white, and 9 macedonian yellow wax peppers.

there's also a a row of romaine lettuce, and about 12 different kinds of basil.

in my herb garden, i have flat leaf parsley, white sage, rosemary, and thyme (hey, you goin' to scarborough fair?), and cilantro, wild shallots, mint, and parsley root.

oops, and i can't forget about the black, pink, and red raspberries, and the apple tree.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom