Potato freshness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to WebMD, "the frying process destroys the healthy substances in potatoes". Stick to the microwave.

Purple Potatoes Lower Blood Pressure
Yes that wouldn't surprise me - still purple potato crisps are very enjoyable to eat!

Microwave? No thanks...I know it is said that the shorter cooking time preserves the Vit C in them, but I can cook them in a short time, sliced and steamed. Much more preferable to me.

Last edited:
I have to say the slightly wrinkly potatoes I used to make gnocchi made really good nice and light gnocchi.

I use my thumbnail. I suppose you can use something else, but it is one tool I can't set down and forget where I left it...:wacko:

Now that you mention it... When I'm not peeling the potatoes, I use my thumbnail, too. In fact, here are tonight's potatoes before cleaning.

Attachments

• 1463439845411.jpg
    1463439845411.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 191
My potato peeler has a somewhat sharp tip that I use to remove sprouts and eyes. If yours doesn’t have that, you can use a paring knife.

I rarely peel potatoes unless I"m making something that is very specific about requiring it, and I haven't cut out an eye in 20 years or more. Even for mashed, I just do the whole thing. :)

My potato peeler has a somewhat sharp tip that I use to remove sprouts and eyes. If yours doesn’t have that, you can use a paring knife.

This is my "hand me down" potato peeler. It must be 50 years old if it's a day! Still peels potatoes fast fast fast 50 years later. It has a side thingy to gouge/remove spud eyes.

peeler.jpg

Last edited:
I rarely peel potatoes unless I"m making something that is very specific about requiring it, and I haven't cut out an eye in 20 years or more. Even for mashed, I just do the whole thing. :)

Same here. I guess you missed my earlier post. I sort of automatically responded to the question about what tool to use.

Yes that wouldn't surprise me - still purple potato crisps are very enjoyable to eat!

Microwave? No thanks...I know it is said that the shorter cooking time preserves the Vit C in them, but I can cook them in a short time, sliced and steamed. Much more preferable to me.

How long do you usually steam them? I'm looking for more quick ways to cook potatoes. The hash browns took less than 10 minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Just noticed that my Oxo peeler has a plastic tip for de-sprouting potatoes. I tried it and it seems to work okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I would only eat potatoes that had sprouted, i.e. past their prime, if I was desperate!
I favour good quality vegetables - they are more likely to have their full nutrient content.
Vit C, in particular, quickly deteriorates with storage.

Last edited:
I would only eat potatoes that had sprouted, i.e. past their prime, if I was desperate!
I favour good quality vegetables - they are more likely to have their full nutrient content.
Vit C, in particular, quickly deteriorates with storage.

I guess the rest of us prefer not to waste perfectly good food. It doesn't have to be optimal to be beneficial. And I'd guess most of us get enough vitamin C from other foods, since potatoes aren't a major source of it.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=109

Last edited:
I guess the rest of us prefer not to waste perfectly good food. It doesn't have to be optimal to be beneficial. And I'd guess most of us get enough vitamin C from other foods, since potatoes aren't a major source of it.

vitamin C
I wouldn't let potatoes get to that stage to begin with, i.e. so there would be no waste. However, I think it is good that people use the soft, sprouted potatoes (past their prime) rather than binning them.

My other point was not losing the nutrients in the potato, i.e. it DOES have Vit C. I do know about Vit C so do not need to be educated, thanks i.e. I know it's not the highest food in it but that is beside the point. I prefer to eat food when at their maximum nutritional potential.

Incidentally I do voluntary work that makes use of surplus food from supermarkets to make healthy meals for those in vulnerable groups called FoodCycle (successful here nationwide) - so food waste is something that concerns me too.

Last edited:
I didn't mention it for your benefit. The way you go on about it, other readers could get the idea that potatoes have a lot of vitamin C. They don't. Green, orange and red foods (such as leafy greens, bell peppers, citrus) are much better sources. And since it's water-soluble, if you eat more than your body needs, it's simply excreted.

It's great that life never gets in the way of your meal plans :)

Last edited:
I didn't mention it for your benefit. The way you go on about it, other readers could get the idea that potatoes have a lot of vitamin C. They don't. Green, orange and red foods (such as leafy greens, bell peppers, citrus) are much better sources. And since it's water-soluble, if you eat more than your body needs, it's simply excreted.

It's great that life never gets in the way of your meal plans :)
I didn't "go on" about it...just mentioned that it had Vit C.

Most people do not get enough Vit C so over consumption in their diet is unlikely; it is depleted by many factors.

Life and meals are what we make of them.

I have had enough of your constant snipes to my posts (often now cleverly disguised with emoticons).

I am leaving this forum because of you.

I am not the only one with reservations....

Last edited:
Creative and GG, you both come off as holier than thou on occasion, so I guess it's expected that you would not get on well together. In fact, it can be difficult to be enthusiastic about some things without sounding like that - it can happen to any of us. But when it gets into someone's craw, then maybe it's time to back off and think about it for a while. :mellow:

Last edited:
There is an ignore feature.;)
Yes I know...but that would give her free rein to criticise my posts without my being able to defend myself! No thanks.

I would just like to express my thanks for all those that supported me here though e.g. in likes and PMs. Much appreciated.
color.gif

Last edited:
Creative and GG, you both come off as holier than thou on occasion, so I guess it's expected that you would not get on well together. In fact, it can be difficult to be enthusiastic about some things without sounding like that - it can happen to any of us. But when it gets into someone's craw, then maybe it's time to back off and think about it for a while. :mellow:
It's more that we support very different causes. When I tell my friends what a hard time I am getting here for liking and defending organic food, they cannot believe it!

With apologies to kitchengoddess8 for going off topic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom