"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #31
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My potato peeler has a somewhat sharp tip that I use to remove sprouts and eyes. If yours doesn’t have that, you can use a paring knife.

Just noticed that my Oxo peeler has a plastic tip for de-sprouting potatoes. I tried it and it seems to work okay.


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
__________________

__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #32
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Lightbulb

I would only eat potatoes that had sprouted, i.e. past their prime, if I was desperate!
I favour good quality vegetables - they are more likely to have their full nutrient content.
Vit C, in particular, quickly deteriorates with storage.
__________________

__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I would only eat potatoes that had sprouted, i.e. past their prime, if I was desperate!
I favour good quality vegetables - they are more likely to have their full nutrient content.
Vit C, in particular, quickly deteriorates with storage.
I guess the rest of us prefer not to waste perfectly good food. It doesn't have to be optimal to be beneficial. And I'd guess most of us get enough vitamin C from other foods, since potatoes aren't a major source of it.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rient&dbid=109
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #34
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I guess the rest of us prefer not to waste perfectly good food. It doesn't have to be optimal to be beneficial. And I'd guess most of us get enough vitamin C from other foods, since potatoes aren't a major source of it.

vitamin C
I wouldn't let potatoes get to that stage to begin with, i.e. so there would be no waste. However, I think it is good that people use the soft, sprouted potatoes (past their prime) rather than binning them.

My other point was not losing the nutrients in the potato, i.e. it DOES have Vit C. I do know about Vit C so do not need to be educated, thanks i.e. I know it's not the highest food in it but that is beside the point. I prefer to eat food when at their maximum nutritional potential.

Incidentally I do voluntary work that makes use of surplus food from supermarkets to make healthy meals for those in vulnerable groups called FoodCycle (successful here nationwide) - so food waste is something that concerns me too.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,843
I didn't mention it for your benefit. The way you go on about it, other readers could get the idea that potatoes have a lot of vitamin C. They don't. Green, orange and red foods (such as leafy greens, bell peppers, citrus) are much better sources. And since it's water-soluble, if you eat more than your body needs, it's simply excreted.

It's great that life never gets in the way of your meal plans
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #36
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I didn't mention it for your benefit. The way you go on about it, other readers could get the idea that potatoes have a lot of vitamin C. They don't. Green, orange and red foods (such as leafy greens, bell peppers, citrus) are much better sources. And since it's water-soluble, if you eat more than your body needs, it's simply excreted.

It's great that life never gets in the way of your meal plans
I didn't "go on" about it...just mentioned that it had Vit C.

Most people do not get enough Vit C so over consumption in their diet is unlikely; it is depleted by many factors.

Life and meals are what we make of them.

I have had enough of your constant snipes to my posts (often now cleverly disguised with emoticons).

I am leaving this forum because of you.

I am not the only one with reservations....
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #37
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,044
Creative and GG, you both come off as holier than thou on occasion, so I guess it's expected that you would not get on well together. In fact, it can be difficult to be enthusiastic about some things without sounding like that - it can happen to any of us. But when it gets into someone's craw, then maybe it's time to back off and think about it for a while.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #38
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,777
There is an ignore feature.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #39
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
There is an ignore feature.
Yes I know...but that would give her free rein to criticise my posts without my being able to defend myself! No thanks.

I would just like to express my thanks for all those that supported me here though e.g. in likes and PMs. Much appreciated.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #40
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Creative and GG, you both come off as holier than thou on occasion, so I guess it's expected that you would not get on well together. In fact, it can be difficult to be enthusiastic about some things without sounding like that - it can happen to any of us. But when it gets into someone's craw, then maybe it's time to back off and think about it for a while.
It's more that we support very different causes. When I tell my friends what a hard time I am getting here for liking and defending organic food, they cannot believe it!

With apologies to kitchengoddess8 for going off topic.




__________________

__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other, potato

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.