Potato freshness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just got an air conditioner but if I put the potatoes under that, I'd have to sleep with them on my head. My bed is under the window.

This is one of those 'can't win' moments, isn't it?

What an interesting read! I aim to use up all the potatoes I buy when I do my weekly shop, and I store them in a dark cupboard, along with my onions and garlic, and laid out on a couple of racks that are really for turning out pastries etc onto from the oven. I make mash and croquette potatoes with the potatoes I don't use during the week, or other potato dish that comes to mind at the time, and I freeze them. Gnocchi freeze particularly well. These ready made dishes come in handy whan I can't think further than chicken or sausages! Croquette potatoes are really easy to make and my OH loves them. So green potatoes here aren't an issue.

Happy cooking!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Oh if my potatoes start getting old. I coat them with bacon grease, wrap in foil. Partially bake. Let cool and freeze for later.

In high school in my science class, we were given a home assignment. Cut up a potato and soak overnight. Remove the potato and drain off as much water as possible. Place the rest of the water and the starch at the bottom of the bowl in a glass jar and bring it in. We were all surprised at how much starch leached out.

So if it is the starch that turns to sugar and makes freezing difficult for potatoes, then I am wondering if I soak the potatoes for FF's before I blanch them, would they freeze properly after the blanching? :angel:

I just got an air conditioner but if I put the potatoes under that, I'd have to sleep with them on my head. My bed is under the window.

Sounds like having potatoes stored there could be a bit uncomfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom