"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Potato freshness

I bought a bag of purple potatoes at Whole Foods about a week ago and have kept them stored in a bin in my pantry closet. Last night I took a couple of them out to cook and they were slightly soft. Are they fresh enough to eat? I made some hash browns and they tasted fine.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I bought a bag of purple potatoes at Whole Foods about a week ago and have kept them stored in a bin in my pantry closet. Last night I took a couple of them out to cook and they were slightly soft. Are they fresh enough to eat? I made some hash browns and they tasted fine.
I'd say you have already answered your own question.

The potatoes I made the gnocchi with a couple of night ago were slightly soft. The potato basket gets too much sunlight in our new house so it either has to be moved or we'll have to cover up the potatoes with a dishtowel or something because they sprouted and I had to knock off the sprouts. Or, alternatively, not buy a 5-pound sack since we don't use them up fast enough.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Head Chef

When a potato starts to develop little white roots, then it becomes questionable whether it is still edible.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
When a potato starts to develop little white roots, then it becomes questionable whether it is still edible.
You mean the sprouts? They're still edible - just break off the sprouts and use the potatoes soon.

If they're turning green under the skin, peel off all the green - it can cause upset stomach. Solanine is a natural toxin, you know
Old 05-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Depends on how soft.

If they are green throw them out (mind you, how you could tell with purple potatoes, I'm not sure).

According to a report in the Daily Mirror (British tabloid newspaper - aimed, apparently, at a consumer with reading age of 10!) purple potatoes will stop you getting cancer

Baked purple spuds might help people beat cancer.

The superfood from South America now available here is packed with antioxidants which kill off tumours.

In tests on mice the potatoes, usually the size of a golf ball, halted the growth of bowel cancers by targeting their “master” stem cells.

Prof Jairam Vanamala, of Pennsylvania State University in the US said a starch in the potatoes boosted the immune function in the gut.

And this could cause cancer cells to “self-destruct.”
(I thought purple was an appropriate colour to paste the cutting )
Old 05-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Edible but probably losing it's "goodness" as it's using it to grow the roots.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
According to a report in the Daily Mirror (British tabloid newspaper - aimed, apparently, at a consumer with reading age of 10!) purple potatoes will stop you getting cancer!
The key words are "might" and "could." What works in animal models doesn't always work in humans.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The key words are "might" and "could." What works in animal models doesn't always work in humans.
Exactly! It also depends, to a large extent, of the number of mouse "volunteers" the experiment used. If the sample was small it probably wasn't very useful.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I have a question.
I have bought russet potatoes that were very fresh. Very firm. Yet they were a bit green under the skin.
How could they be old if they were still hard and looked as fresh as they could be. Beautiful potatoes. I can tell an old potato from a fresh potato.
I heard back in the day about the green under the skin, but it warned only of sickness, not freshness.
Is green under the skin a sure sign of age?
Old 05-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

RB, I think green is a sign of exposure to sun, not of age. It's important to peel the green parts off, they can make you sick.

Tags
other, potato