"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
Potato freshness

I bought a bag of purple potatoes at Whole Foods about a week ago and have kept them stored in a bin in my pantry closet. Last night I took a couple of them out to cook and they were slightly soft. Are they fresh enough to eat? I made some hash browns and they tasted fine.

__________________

kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I bought a bag of purple potatoes at Whole Foods about a week ago and have kept them stored in a bin in my pantry closet. Last night I took a couple of them out to cook and they were slightly soft. Are they fresh enough to eat? I made some hash browns and they tasted fine.
I'd say you have already answered your own question.

The potatoes I made the gnocchi with a couple of night ago were slightly soft. The potato basket gets too much sunlight in our new house so it either has to be moved or we'll have to cover up the potatoes with a dishtowel or something because they sprouted and I had to knock off the sprouts. Or, alternatively, not buy a 5-pound sack since we don't use them up fast enough.
__________________

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,521
When a potato starts to develop little white roots, then it becomes questionable whether it is still edible.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
When a potato starts to develop little white roots, then it becomes questionable whether it is still edible.
You mean the sprouts? They're still edible - just break off the sprouts and use the potatoes soon.

If they're turning green under the skin, peel off all the green - it can cause upset stomach. Solanine is a natural toxin, you know
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I bought a bag of purple potatoes at Whole Foods about a week ago and have kept them stored in a bin in my pantry closet. Last night I took a couple of them out to cook and they were slightly soft. Are they fresh enough to eat? I made some hash browns and they tasted fine.
Depends on how soft.

If they are green throw them out (mind you, how you could tell with purple potatoes, I'm not sure).

According to a report in the Daily Mirror (British tabloid newspaper - aimed, apparently, at a consumer with reading age of 10!) purple potatoes will stop you getting cancer

Baked purple spuds might help people beat cancer.

The superfood from South America now available here is packed with antioxidants which kill off tumours.

In tests on mice the potatoes, usually the size of a golf ball, halted the growth of bowel cancers by targeting their “master” stem cells.

Prof Jairam Vanamala, of Pennsylvania State University in the US said a starch in the potatoes boosted the immune function in the gut.

And this could cause cancer cells to “self-destruct.”
(I thought purple was an appropriate colour to paste the cutting )
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
When a potato starts to develop little white roots, then it becomes questionable whether it is still edible.
Edible but probably losing it's "goodness" as it's using it to grow the roots.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
According to a report in the Daily Mirror (British tabloid newspaper - aimed, apparently, at a consumer with reading age of 10!) purple potatoes will stop you getting cancer!
The key words are "might" and "could." What works in animal models doesn't always work in humans.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The key words are "might" and "could." What works in animal models doesn't always work in humans.
Exactly! It also depends, to a large extent, of the number of mouse "volunteers" the experiment used. If the sample was small it probably wasn't very useful.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,060
I have a question.
I have bought russet potatoes that were very fresh. Very firm. Yet they were a bit green under the skin.
How could they be old if they were still hard and looked as fresh as they could be. Beautiful potatoes. I can tell an old potato from a fresh potato.
I heard back in the day about the green under the skin, but it warned only of sickness, not freshness.
Is green under the skin a sure sign of age?
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
RB, I think green is a sign of exposure to sun, not of age. It's important to peel the green parts off, they can make you sick.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
RB, I think green is a sign of exposure to sun, not of age. It's important to peel the green parts off, they can make you sick.
Yes, I was about to say that, too.

The following info comes from the The Food Safety Authority of Ireland website:

"Whilst not acutely toxic in humans, there are a number of reports suggesting that ingestion of potatoes containing high levels of glycoalkaloids have led to poisoning incidents where the main symptoms displayed are irritation of the gut and also drowsiness. These symptoms have also been shown at high doses of glycoalkaloids in controlled experiments using human volunteers."

It also says that there is no connection between expectant mothers consuming green potatoes and the incidence of spina bifida in their babies (there was a scare about this a long time ago).
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,521
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If they're turning green under the skin, peel off all the green - it can cause upset stomach. Solanine is a natural toxin, you know
Yes I know that....a toxin is a toxin regardless of whether it is synthetic or not.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Yes I know that....a toxin is a toxin regardless of whether it is synthetic or not.
Just clarifying, since you seem to have the idea that synthetic toxins are somehow worse.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,521
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just clarifying, since you seem to have the idea that synthetic toxins are somehow worse.
I would always favour an organic pesticide over a synthetic one anyday.
My choice!
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 12,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
...Last night I took a couple of them out to cook and they were slightly soft. Are they fresh enough to eat?..
I might be the only person who does this, or at least the only one to admit it, but when I have sprouting, slightly soft potatoes, I just cut them up for mashed a few hours before I'm going to boil them. After peeling* and cutting into chunks, they sit in water until it's time to cook them. By the time I give them one more rinse before boiling them, they are just about as firm as a just-bought one. I've always figured the softening comes from a loss of moisture. Restore moisture=restore texture. Himself has never been able to tell if a potato has been a just-bought one or an older one. He enjoys them both. Neither of us have ever felt sick afterwards.

I do cut off any green, but I rarely have any since I store them in a bin in the basement, then cover them with a cotton towel.

* I don't normally peel potatoes, but I do if they're wrinkly. Those skins are a bit rubbery, even when soaked.
__________________
“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?”— Charles de Gaulle

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
According to Penn State University regarding green potatoes:

"Because of the bitter taste, it is rare for someone to eat enough to actually get sick."

Green Potatoes — Home Food Preservation — Penn State Extension

According to U.S. NIH:

"Potatoes that are not green and have had any sprouts removed are safe to eat."

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...cle/002875.htm

An interesting article regarding green tinged potato chips:

What's Up With Those Green Potato Chips You Sometimes Find? | Mental Floss
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #17
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Depends on how soft.

If they are green throw them out (mind you, how you could tell with purple potatoes, I'm not sure).

According to a report in the Daily Mirror (British tabloid newspaper - aimed, apparently, at a consumer with reading age of 10!) purple potatoes will stop you getting cancer

Baked purple spuds might help people beat cancer.

The superfood from South America now available here is packed with antioxidants which kill off tumours.

In tests on mice the potatoes, usually the size of a golf ball, halted the growth of bowel cancers by targeting their “master” stem cells.

Prof Jairam Vanamala, of Pennsylvania State University in the US said a starch in the potatoes boosted the immune function in the gut.

And this could cause cancer cells to “self-destruct.”
(I thought purple was an appropriate colour to paste the cutting )

Wow that's amazing! Great to know!


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #18
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 904
How do you remove the sprouts from a potato? Is there a special kitchen gadget for that?


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #19
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,521
Thumbs up

Purple potato crisps are great! Very light and super crunchy - available from good health shops.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
How do you remove the sprouts from a potato? Is there a special kitchen gadget for that?
My potato peeler has a somewhat sharp tip that I use to remove sprouts and eyes. If yours doesn’t have that, you can use a paring knife.
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other, potato

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×