Potato help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I am going to grill some red taters in foil packets soon, but want to partially cook them in the microwave first.

Should I just nuke them with water and then grill with all the goodies or nuke with the water and goodies?

The goodies include:
red onions
oil
lemon juice
spices and herbs

Angie, if it were me, I'd poke several holes in the potatoes after I washed them, then nuke them as is, no water, get to the point you want them then get them ready to grill..I'd not add any seasonings or herbs till I get ready to grill..They should be yummy.
I do a foil packet with the potatoes, herbs like parsley, and rosemary then add onions, garlic and sprinkle with evoo, salt and pepper, seal it up and grill.
kadesma:)

Are you cooking the taters whole or cut into slices/chunks? If sliced/chunked, there's no need to pre-cook them. I cooked packets of thickly sliced red taters on the grill last week in foil packets with "goodies", & they took all of 15-20 minutes to be completely cooked through.

Chunks.

Last time we did them this way on the grill with no precooking, it took a good 45 mins plus to cook them.

I think I need to experiment a bit more.

If they are not baby red potatoes, which only need halved or quartered, then you either need to slice them thinly and spread them in a thinner layer to cook, or, as you said, nuke them first.
In nuking, I wouldn't use any water, but I would add some butter, as the fat in butter heats up quickly and helps the potatoes cook better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom