Potato Latkes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debthecook

Senior Cook
3 large red potatoes
1 small onion
2 beaten eggs
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp each salt/pepper
1/2 cup oil

Wash, don't peel potatoes. Grate with onion in large bowl. Add eggs, s&p, flour. Let sit 10 min. Pour off excess liquid. Fry by 1 tbsp in oil. When brown around edges, turn over. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sour cream and applesauce.

Growing up we had some German neighbors - Trudy would fix these when we played Crazy 8's - we always had the applesauce - they were wonderful - thanks for the reminder deb!!!! I need to make these.

Here's a little variation with more veggies in it -

GARDEN VEGETABLE LATKES

8oz.russet potatoes
8oz.carrots
8oz.parsnips
¼ cup scallions, chopped
¼ cup flour
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
2 large eggs,beaten

Shred potatoes,carrots, parsnips; place in a towel and twist tightly to remove as much liquid as possible. Place vegetables in bowl and mix in onions, flour, salt/pepper; toss to coat. Mix in eggs.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drop 2 heaping tablespoons batter into oil; use a spoon to spread to 4inch rounds. Cook til brown,about 3 minutes per side; drain on a rack.

Potato Latkas, a bit different from Debs

Idaho potato's peeled by hand grater no cuisinart shredding (didnt have cuisinarts in the old days) into dish towel..after grated wring out moisture from potato's and place in bowl
Add grated sm onion
1 lg egg that has been lightly beaten w/salt and pepper
1/4C Matza Meal or flour, just to bind, mixture remains mushy.
1/2t baking powder

Heat up vege oil (I use canola), make sure its nice and hot
drop potato's by the tablesoon and flatten slightly
fry until golden and only turn 1x.

don't forget the sour cream and applesauce. yummm, i love latkes. thanks to deb, marmalady, and chez suz for the recipes

Whenever I try to make these, why do the potatoes start to get dark? Am I trying to make too many and should do it in small amounts? My family loves them but I know there is nothing wrong just look unappealing. I try to make as quick as I can but deb said to not peel the potatoes? Is that right? Never fixed them like that. Maybe that helps with color.

I grate the potato at the time I'm going to use it...recipe up above...they are never brown always light and crispy..take a look at my method.

chez suz said:
I grate the potato at the time I'm going to use it...recipe up above...they are never brown always light and crispy..take a look at my method.
Thanks chez suz, I have to admit I am not the brightest. I did reread your recipe and i do recall my mother making them the way you do with the towel. Do you think lot of work or not? Guess you figure if you want something good, worth it. I thank you for bringing it to my attention and will give it a try. As you said, grate old fashioned way. My mother loved potato pancakes. She would have loved all these recipes too. Just hope I have success and they will taste as good as you prepare. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom