Potato Pancakes YUM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made my first night latkes tonight! Yummy. Baby liked them too. But even 2 years old and already prefers thin and crispy over thick....sigh
My sufganiyot on the other hand were a disaster. Have 7 more nights to get it right

Last edited:
Made my first night latkes tonight! Yummy. Baby liked them too. But even 2 years old and already prefers thin and crispy over thick....sigh
My sufganiyot on the other hand were a disaster. Have 7 more nights to get it right

What is that? :angel:

Here is the picture of my latkes.

Attachments

• IMG_0396[1].jpg
    IMG_0396[1].jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0399[1].jpg
    IMG_0399[1].jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 173
Thank you for this recipe Charlie :)

Latkes.
:chef:
2-Large baking potatoes peeled and grated on the Potato a.k.a. cheese grater.
1-Small to medium size onion (remember that onion originally was used to keep potato from getting dark, but some people like the flavor/taste of it so it became part of the recipe, my mother for example never uses onion).
2-Eggs.
1-Cup all-purpose flour (note: some people like more flour some less, you will have to try and see about your preference).
Half of a tea spoon Baking Soda.
About 1+ Table spoon vinegar.
Salt to taste.
Pepper if you wish.
Oil for frying.
Sour cream and Apple sauce for serving.

After potato and onion is grated (btw when grating, take turns of grating potato and onion, not only it will keep potato from darkening, onion kind of cleans the grater and makes it easier to grate potato) add eggs, add flour salt/pepper and then put soda into a big spoon and add vinegar to promote a reaction and add this to the mixture. If you do not like vinegar you can use Baking powder, not sure how much maybe a teaspoon full. You can also promote the same reaction with rolling boiling water. This is what will make the pancakes really fluffy and airy.
When frying, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, potato likes oil. Fry on medium high, till golden brown, flip them over and with and/corner of the spatula pock a hole, this will help them to cook inside. When ready use few sheets of paper towel to drain the oil. Serve right away with sour cream and/or apple sauce or whatever your soul desire. I prefer sour cream. Enjoy. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom