"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Potato Pancakes YUM

I decided to make the potato pancakes that someone posted. It is the one with the batter. I decided to not add the salt. I am not a salt person. I have never been placed on salt restriction. I just am not one to reach for the salt shaker. When I went into the fridge for the milk and butter, I saw the open half package of shredded Mozzarella cheese. So to use it up before it went moldy, I toss that into the batter. It is a good thing I didn't put the salt in. The cheese had enough salt to adjust the recipe. I used my egg rings. It doesn't have the high sides a muffin ring has. But it was just high enough to make sure it was cooked through.

I also had a package of minute steaks in the fridge. They were supposed to go into the freezer. They never made it. So I tossed the small one in the pan with the pancakes.

The pancakes were cooked perfectly. And the cheese just added to the whole experience. No complaint about the steak either. That is the biggest meal I have cooked for myself in months. It usually is just something I can hold in my hand. I must do this more often. I recommend the the pancakes. One bowl, one spoon to mix it all together.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Head Chef

Addicting Aren't they?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Addicting Aren't they?
Oh yes. I still have a lot of batter left. You can be sure there will be more made before the night has ended. But I have only till 12 midnight. I have to fast for blood work in the morning. But I just may have a couple of more for breakfast when I get home.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Head Chef

They freeze well. I like them cold too.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
They freeze well. I like them cold too.
Thanks for that tip. How do you reheat them up? I think I will freeze them.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Head Chef

If they are cooked ,just reheat them in the oven, or microwave them. If uncooked ,shape them and freeze them, then cook in hot oil. No need to defrost. Just cook them through. I think they are best cooked in Crisco about 1/4 inch deep.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
If they are cooked ,just reheat them in the oven, or microwave them. If uncooked ,shape them and freeze them, then cook in hot oil. No need to defrost. Just cook them through. I think they are best cooked in Crisco about 1/4 inch deep.
Thank you. I think I will reheat them in my toaster oven.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Master Chef

With Chanukah around the corner the kids school put out on the pre-Chanuka branch, amongst other things I made traditional Latkas, a.k.a. potato pancakes. I only used 30 pounds of potatoes , oh my were they good. To be completely honest I have to admit, I think at least 5-7 pounds left.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Sous Chef

My husband is looking forward to his latkes and sufganiyot. I usually use shredded potato and onion but heard interesting things about a smooth puree like patty. Thoughts?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I also have made pp's with leftover mashed potatoes. Always a favorite with my kids. Last night my middle son (The Pirate) was supposed to come for supper if he had time. I told him today what he missed out on. I didn't tell him I had frozen some. I will let that be surprise.

Tags
potato