Potato recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate potatoes! Let me explain. They are one of the most versatile and tasty tubers on the planet. And I learned to cook them so many deliscious ways. But they are a very bad food, especially for diabetics like myself. They make bloodsugar skyrocket.

One of my favorite ways to prepare them is a version of Potatoes Anna. Use ramecans sized for individual servings. Peel, then slice Yukon Gold spuds into thin rounds. Place them immediately in cold water to prevent them from turning brown.

Butter the bottom and sides of the ramekans. Arrange the rounds to cover the bottom and press vertically on the sides to cover as well. Sprinkle with salt and finely minced onion, or onion powder. Place tiny pats of butter on the bottom and add another layer of potato rounds. Again, add butter, salt, and onion. Continue this process until the ramecans are filled.

Bake in a 425 degree oven until the tops are lightly browned and the potatoes are tender (about 45 to 55 minutes).

Infert the ramecans to remove the baked spuds (Potato Anna) and plate.

Serve with breaded pork chops, or a good beef roast cooked the way you like it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh my..............I can't say I have a favorite because I do love a potato. Here are some of the ways I like them served.

Potatoes with EVOO, Garlic, Rosemary, S & P..........roasted in the oven.

Mashed potatoes with butter, sour cream, milk, s & p

Mashed pototoes with the above plus, greens from the green onions or chives and crumbled fried bacon.

Seasoned French Fries topped with Mexican Cheese Blend, greens from the green onions and crumbled bacon.

Baked Potatoes with Butter, Sour Cream, Chives, Bacon, S & P

Potatoe Cakes....made from left over mashed potatoes

Yakuta said:
How about spicy potatoes. Potatoes are boiled and then cubed. In a pan add oil, when the oil is hot add whole brown mustard seeds, whole cumin seeds a finely chopped green chilli and curry leaves (optional but highly recommended - all these ingredients are available in an Indian store). Next add the potatoes followed by a little turmeric powder and salt. Stir the spices in the potatoes and cover and let it cook on low for 20 minutes or so. Finish with a squeeze of one whole lime and cilantro, stir once again slightly and serve with naan or roti.

Most of my American friends love this so I thought I'd share this recipe.

Thanks Yakuta, I tried this lovely recipe last night and was great. Now everyone wants the recipe! :)

Good weed of the north!(cool name!)Naan and Roti are thin bread. Are you familiar with Chapati? pitta bread? Naan is a lot thicker than chapati and one can have different sorts like garlic naan, rosemary naan or plain naan bread. have a look at these. http://www.indiaforvisitors.com/food/bread/naan.htm will post a chapati recipe in 'African recipes'. I have never tried to make naan bread, but I know roti is a lot like chapati.These breads go very well with stews and curries.

I've got a great recipe for Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes. You will not find this in a recipe book, it's straight from my kitchen.

Potatoes diced and boiled in fresh minced garlic (lots). Drain potatoes and add butter, sour cream (alot), milk (not to much, the sour cream will make them creamy), chicken bouillon to taste (This replaces salt, I use the brand Better than Bouillon) , pepper to taste. Beat with mixer until creamy. Yum! Yum!

Welcome to DC, Zontec.

Roasted, mashed, baked, skins, pancakes, gnocchi, pierogies, etc., you name it... I like it. A tasty ez recipe (don't think you will find in cookbooks) - Carrot Potato Whip with carmelized onions.

Mash together cooked carrots and potatoes with butter salt and pepper, and add carmelized onion chunks.

Hi Sizzles, looks like you have lived in Kenya as well. I am sure you must have experienced East Indian food there so hopefully my recipe was up your alley, it's good to know it turned out good.

Goodweed, naan is a flat bread that you see served in Indian restaurants in the west. It's made out of flour (similar to pizza dough but without the yeast). It's baked traditionally in a clay oven also called the tandoor. Most Indian households don't eat naan since wheat is a healthier option and a more popular one in the Indian households.

I like Chappati or Roti as sizzles called it. It's basically a dough that most Indian households make fresh everyday (just wheat flour, salt and water) and then roll it into balls, flatten the balls and make small rounds (size of small corn tortillas) and dry roast them in a griddle pan. We eat it with any curries that we prepare at home.

Potato, Onion and Tomato Bake

I have just remembered this recipe. It doesn't sound very tasty, but wait until it's on the table...yummy.

4 large potatoes peeled thinly sliced
4 tomatoes thinly sliced
2 large onions thinly sliced
Butter
Freshly ground black pepper
Half a cup of cream
Half a cup of chicken stock
Half a cup of milk
One cup grated cooking cheese(I use Gruyere, but chedder should be fine)

Brush ovenproof dish with butter and layer the potato, tomatoe and onions alternating in the dish and finishing with potato. Dot with butter every layer and sprinkle pepper. then combine stock, milk and cream and pour over layered potatoes, top with cheese and bake until the potatoes at the top are tender and golden brown, usually about an hour, but the idea is to evaporate as much liquid in it as possible so the cheese melts onto the sides down and you are not left with a watery dinner.
:chef:

Hey this sounds great indeed!!:-p
However do you put the cheese on top first? If it stays in the oven for an hour wouldn't it get burnt out? Or there is enough liquid to prevent that?
I may try it without first, then when it is almost done add the cheese on top then switch the oven to grill(or broil) to get the golden brown effect... what do you think?

Urmaniac13, hi there :) Actually I have never burnt the cheese, using gruyere which is a good cooking cheese, it doesn't burn easily, it can handle an hour in the oven. I am not so sure of chedder, I have never cooked with chedder, but do not try emmental, it will certainly burn.

Jikoni said:
Urmaniac13, hi there :) Actually I have never burnt the cheese, using gruyere which is a good cooking cheese, it doesn't burn easily, it can handle an hour in the oven. I am not so sure of chedder, I have never cooked with chedder, but do not try emmental, it will certainly burn.

I see, that's why I was a bit worried about it, so many cheeses can burn too quickly in the oven, I never tried anything like this with gruyere, I will make sure to use that when I try this!! Merci!!:)

I am not going to go into the recipe I like, but, let me tell you the recipe I hate and why. So in Soviet Union because of stupidity of the whole system there was always a problem with food supply. People in the small villages kept some domestic animals and sold products, i.e. milk, meat, eggs and so on, on the farmers market. Okay, so this people had to feed their live stock, right? Well, there is a food shortage for people, where do you think they would find food for animals. This is what they did to feed pigs :pig: ; they would make them Mashed Potatoes. Of course, no butter or crème fresh was added, but, they did leave the skins on. So every time I see the mashed potatoes with skins on it reminds me of pig feed. Now you now the recipe I hate. And I mean I HATE IT! :furious: :yuk: :yuk:
Just imagine that and you’ll know how I feel.

Jikoni said:
I have just remembered this recipe. It doesn't sound very tasty, but wait until it's on the table...yummy.

4 large potatoes peeled thinly sliced
4 tomatoes thinly sliced
2 large onions thinly sliced
Butter
Freshly ground black pepper
Half a cup of cream
Half a cup of chicken stock
Half a cup of milk
One cup grated cooking cheese(I use Gruyere, but chedder should be fine)

Brush ovenproof dish with butter and layer the potato, tomatoe and onions alternating in the dish and finishing with potato. Dot with butter every layer and sprinkle pepper. then combine stock, milk and cream and pour over layered potatoes, top with cheese and bake until the potatoes at the top are tender and golden brown, usually about an hour, but the idea is to evaporate as much liquid in it as possible so the cheese melts onto the sides down and you are not left with a watery dinner.
:chef:

Jikoni, looks delish! Copied and saved. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Reminded me of a bit of a Potato Lasagna - Layer slices of potatoes, tomatoes (or some tomato sauce), mozzarella, garlic and Italian seasonings (basil, oregano, parsley etc.), cover and bake in a pyrex dish until potatoes are cooked thru and mozzarella is hot and bubbly/melted. You could also add slices of Italian sausage.

Last edited:
Potato Cakes

I made this up recently and they aren't too bad.

4-5 potatoes chunked to boil for mashing
4 slices of bacon diced
2 onions halved and sliced thin to make strings
tsp or better roasted garlic
1/2 half roasted red bell pepper from jar + tablespoon or more of the jar water.
crumbled feta
Paresan to grate
Green onions

Render the bacon and set aside, saute onions in bacon oil until dark brown and approaching crunchy

Boil the potatoes drain and return to pot, mash up roughly not to smooth.

Add bacon, onions, garlic, red pepper and juice from the jar, 2 tbls both feta and parmesan, or more if you like.
add black and white pepper to your taste, 1 tsp of both thyme and rosemary dried.

Mix all together well.

On a teflon baking tray, use a small spring form cake pan to make potato cakes to desired thickness.

Put in over at 400 until warmed through, then take out and cover tops with more Feta and Parmesan and chopped green onions. Return to oven until parm has melted.

KIM'S HAMBURGER AND POTATOE SOUP(OMIT HAMB. FOR VEGATARIANS)
1 lb hamburger-crumbled-browned-drained
1 clove garlic crushed
5 large poatoes cut in chunks
1 med. onion diced
corn starch or flour as a thickening agent(directions on package)
pepper/salt-to taste
8 cups water

boil your poatatoes till tender
cook hamg w/ onion & garlic
combine potatoe mixture,meat mixture use thickening agent
untill desired thickness
salt pepper to taste
cook for about 25 more miuntes
serve over rice or as a soup...:chef:

I could probably write a cookbook - "101 Baked 'Tater Recipes" if I just sat down and did it! It doesn't take much more than just a little imagination. For example:

Chili 'n Cheese 'Tater

You take a baked potato and split it open ... mush up the flesh a bit .. then add some chili, top with diced onion and top with grated cheddar ... toss in the microwave for about a minutes to melt the cheese. Now, let your imagination go wild - top the chili with your favorite salsa before you add the cheese - use another cheese other than cheddar ... add some crispy bacon bits ... beans ... add some sour cream to top it off ... diced avacado anyone?

Chicken/Turkey/Tuna - just make a cream sauce (or use cream of mushroom soup) and add chunkd of the meat of choice, some frozen peas and sauteed diced onion ... maybe some sliced mushrooms sauteed with the onions ... maybe cheese soup, or cream of broccoli, cream of chicken, cream of asparagus, maybe some diced artichokes?

Ham and Broccoli - saute some diced onion, add chopped blanched broccoli and diced ham and some cream of mushroom soup .... top with grated swiss cheese - or replace the broccoli with chopped spinach.

BBQ baked potato - use chopped/pulled leftover BBQ beef brisket, pork, chicken ... add some BBQ sauce and heat - add sauteed onion - top with grated cheddar ...

The Italian Spud - meat sauce, some sliced olives, sauteed mushrooms, top with mozzarella.

The Sweet 'n Sour SPAM spud ... ok, this one just popped into my head and I haven't tried to make it ... but something like diced SPAM, canned pineapple, some cherry tomatoes sauteed together, some 5-spice powder, a splash of vinegar ... topped with grated toasted coaconut? Ok - like I said - this one was totally off the wall ...

But, you get the idea. Don't 'ya?

A good way to mush up the flesh a bit is to roll it on the counter before you cut it open.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom