"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #21
Master Chef

I hate potatoes! Let me explain. They are one of the most versatile and tasty tubers on the planet. And I learned to cook them so many deliscious ways. But they are a very bad food, especially for diabetics like myself. They make bloodsugar skyrocket.

One of my favorite ways to prepare them is a version of Potatoes Anna. Use ramecans sized for individual servings. Peel, then slice Yukon Gold spuds into thin rounds. Place them immediately in cold water to prevent them from turning brown.

Butter the bottom and sides of the ramekans. Arrange the rounds to cover the bottom and press vertically on the sides to cover as well. Sprinkle with salt and finely minced onion, or onion powder. Place tiny pats of butter on the bottom and add another layer of potato rounds. Again, add butter, salt, and onion. Continue this process until the ramecans are filled.

Bake in a 425 degree oven until the tops are lightly browned and the potatoes are tender (about 45 to 55 minutes).

Infert the ramecans to remove the baked spuds (Potato Anna) and plate.

Serve with breaded pork chops, or a good beef roast cooked the way you like it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #22
Master Chef

Oh my..............I can't say I have a favorite because I do love a potato. Here are some of the ways I like them served.

Potatoes with EVOO, Garlic, Rosemary, S & P..........roasted in the oven.

Mashed potatoes with butter, sour cream, milk, s & p

Mashed pototoes with the above plus, greens from the green onions or chives and crumbled fried bacon.

Seasoned French Fries topped with Mexican Cheese Blend, greens from the green onions and crumbled bacon.

Baked Potatoes with Butter, Sour Cream, Chives, Bacon, S & P

Potatoe Cakes....made from left over mashed potatoes

Old 12-04-2005, 03:38 AM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
How about spicy potatoes. Potatoes are boiled and then cubed. In a pan add oil, when the oil is hot add whole brown mustard seeds, whole cumin seeds a finely chopped green chilli and curry leaves (optional but highly recommended - all these ingredients are available in an Indian store). Next add the potatoes followed by a little turmeric powder and salt. Stir the spices in the potatoes and cover and let it cook on low for 20 minutes or so. Finish with a squeeze of one whole lime and cilantro, stir once again slightly and serve with naan or roti.

Most of my American friends love this so I thought I'd share this recipe.
Thanks Yakuta, I tried this lovely recipe last night and was great. Now everyone wants the recipe!
Old 12-04-2005, 10:19 AM   #24
Master Chef

Naan, Roti; what are these? I'm not familiar, in fact, I've never heard of these dishes. Please explain. I love trying new recipes.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:22 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Good weed of the north!(cool name!)Naan and Roti are thin bread. Are you familiar with Chapati? pitta bread? Naan is a lot thicker than chapati and one can have different sorts like garlic naan, rosemary naan or plain naan bread. have a look at these. http://www.indiaforvisitors.com/food/bread/naan.htm will post a chapati recipe in 'African recipes'. I have never tried to make naan bread, but I know roti is a lot like chapati.These breads go very well with stews and curries.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

I've got a great recipe for Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes. You will not find this in a recipe book, it's straight from my kitchen.

Potatoes diced and boiled in fresh minced garlic (lots). Drain potatoes and add butter, sour cream (alot), milk (not to much, the sour cream will make them creamy), chicken bouillon to taste (This replaces salt, I use the brand Better than Bouillon) , pepper to taste. Beat with mixer until creamy. Yum! Yum!
www.ZontecOzone.com
Zontec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC, Zontec.

Roasted, mashed, baked, skins, pancakes, gnocchi, pierogies, etc., you name it... I like it. A tasty ez recipe (don't think you will find in cookbooks) - Carrot Potato Whip with carmelized onions.

Mash together cooked carrots and potatoes with butter salt and pepper, and add carmelized onion chunks.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:15 PM   #28
Head Chef

Hi Sizzles, looks like you have lived in Kenya as well. I am sure you must have experienced East Indian food there so hopefully my recipe was up your alley, it's good to know it turned out good.

Goodweed, naan is a flat bread that you see served in Indian restaurants in the west. It's made out of flour (similar to pizza dough but without the yeast). It's baked traditionally in a clay oven also called the tandoor. Most Indian households don't eat naan since wheat is a healthier option and a more popular one in the Indian households.

I like Chappati or Roti as sizzles called it. It's basically a dough that most Indian households make fresh everyday (just wheat flour, salt and water) and then roll it into balls, flatten the balls and make small rounds (size of small corn tortillas) and dry roast them in a griddle pan. We eat it with any curries that we prepare at home.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:34 AM   #29
Sous Chef

Potato, Onion and Tomato Bake

I have just remembered this recipe. It doesn't sound very tasty, but wait until it's on the table...yummy.

4 large potatoes peeled thinly sliced
4 tomatoes thinly sliced
2 large onions thinly sliced
Butter
Freshly ground black pepper
Half a cup of cream
Half a cup of chicken stock
Half a cup of milk
One cup grated cooking cheese(I use Gruyere, but chedder should be fine)

Brush ovenproof dish with butter and layer the potato, tomatoe and onions alternating in the dish and finishing with potato. Dot with butter every layer and sprinkle pepper. then combine stock, milk and cream and pour over layered potatoes, top with cheese and bake until the potatoes at the top are tender and golden brown, usually about an hour, but the idea is to evaporate as much liquid in it as possible so the cheese melts onto the sides down and you are not left with a watery dinner.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Hey this sounds great indeed!!
However do you put the cheese on top first? If it stays in the oven for an hour wouldn't it get burnt out? Or there is enough liquid to prevent that?
I may try it without first, then when it is almost done add the cheese on top then switch the oven to grill(or broil) to get the golden brown effect... what do you think?

Tags
None