"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #31
Sous Chef

Urmaniac13, hi there Actually I have never burnt the cheese, using gruyere which is a good cooking cheese, it doesn't burn easily, it can handle an hour in the oven. I am not so sure of chedder, I have never cooked with chedder, but do not try emmental, it will certainly burn.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikoni
Urmaniac13, hi there Actually I have never burnt the cheese, using gruyere which is a good cooking cheese, it doesn't burn easily, it can handle an hour in the oven. I am not so sure of chedder, I have never cooked with chedder, but do not try emmental, it will certainly burn.
I see, that's why I was a bit worried about it, so many cheeses can burn too quickly in the oven, I never tried anything like this with gruyere, I will make sure to use that when I try this!! Merci!!

Old 03-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #33
Master Chef

I am not going to go into the recipe I like, but, let me tell you the recipe I hate and why. So in Soviet Union because of stupidity of the whole system there was always a problem with food supply. People in the small villages kept some domestic animals and sold products, i.e. milk, meat, eggs and so on, on the farmers market. Okay, so this people had to feed their live stock, right? Well, there is a food shortage for people, where do you think they would find food for animals. This is what they did to feed pigs ; they would make them Mashed Potatoes. Of course, no butter or crème fresh was added, but, they did leave the skins on. So every time I see the mashed potatoes with skins on it reminds me of pig feed. Now you now the recipe I hate. And I mean I HATE IT!
Just imagine that and you’ll know how I feel.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:51 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikoni
I have just remembered this recipe. It doesn't sound very tasty, but wait until it's on the table...yummy.

4 large potatoes peeled thinly sliced
4 tomatoes thinly sliced
2 large onions thinly sliced
Butter
Freshly ground black pepper
Half a cup of cream
Half a cup of chicken stock
Half a cup of milk
One cup grated cooking cheese(I use Gruyere, but chedder should be fine)

Brush ovenproof dish with butter and layer the potato, tomatoe and onions alternating in the dish and finishing with potato. Dot with butter every layer and sprinkle pepper. then combine stock, milk and cream and pour over layered potatoes, top with cheese and bake until the potatoes at the top are tender and golden brown, usually about an hour, but the idea is to evaporate as much liquid in it as possible so the cheese melts onto the sides down and you are not left with a watery dinner.
Jikoni, looks delish! Copied and saved. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Reminded me of a bit of a Potato Lasagna - Layer slices of potatoes, tomatoes (or some tomato sauce), mozzarella, garlic and Italian seasonings (basil, oregano, parsley etc.), cover and bake in a pyrex dish until potatoes are cooked thru and mozzarella is hot and bubbly/melted. You could also add slices of Italian sausage.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #35
Cook

Potato Cakes

I made this up recently and they aren't too bad.

4-5 potatoes chunked to boil for mashing
4 slices of bacon diced
2 onions halved and sliced thin to make strings
tsp or better roasted garlic
1/2 half roasted red bell pepper from jar + tablespoon or more of the jar water.
crumbled feta
Paresan to grate
Green onions

Render the bacon and set aside, saute onions in bacon oil until dark brown and approaching crunchy

Boil the potatoes drain and return to pot, mash up roughly not to smooth.

Add bacon, onions, garlic, red pepper and juice from the jar, 2 tbls both feta and parmesan, or more if you like.
add black and white pepper to your taste, 1 tsp of both thyme and rosemary dried.

Mix all together well.

On a teflon baking tray, use a small spring form cake pan to make potato cakes to desired thickness.

Put in over at 400 until warmed through, then take out and cover tops with more Feta and Parmesan and chopped green onions. Return to oven until parm has melted.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
KIM'S HAMBURGER AND POTATOE SOUP(OMIT HAMB. FOR VEGATARIANS)
1 lb hamburger-crumbled-browned-drained
1 clove garlic crushed
5 large poatoes cut in chunks
1 med. onion diced
corn starch or flour as a thickening agent(directions on package)
pepper/salt-to taste
8 cups water

boil your poatatoes till tender
cook hamg w/ onion & garlic
combine potatoe mixture,meat mixture use thickening agent
untill desired thickness
salt pepper to taste
cook for about 25 more miuntes
serve over rice or as a soup...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #37
Master Chef

I like potatoes , doesn't matter how it is cooked.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #38
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I like potatoes , doesn't matter how it is cooked.
I'm with you on this one - love my taters !!!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #39
Master Chef

I could probably write a cookbook - "101 Baked 'Tater Recipes" if I just sat down and did it! It doesn't take much more than just a little imagination. For example:

Chili 'n Cheese 'Tater

You take a baked potato and split it open ... mush up the flesh a bit .. then add some chili, top with diced onion and top with grated cheddar ... toss in the microwave for about a minutes to melt the cheese. Now, let your imagination go wild - top the chili with your favorite salsa before you add the cheese - use another cheese other than cheddar ... add some crispy bacon bits ... beans ... add some sour cream to top it off ... diced avacado anyone?

Chicken/Turkey/Tuna - just make a cream sauce (or use cream of mushroom soup) and add chunkd of the meat of choice, some frozen peas and sauteed diced onion ... maybe some sliced mushrooms sauteed with the onions ... maybe cheese soup, or cream of broccoli, cream of chicken, cream of asparagus, maybe some diced artichokes?

Ham and Broccoli - saute some diced onion, add chopped blanched broccoli and diced ham and some cream of mushroom soup .... top with grated swiss cheese - or replace the broccoli with chopped spinach.

BBQ baked potato - use chopped/pulled leftover BBQ beef brisket, pork, chicken ... add some BBQ sauce and heat - add sauteed onion - top with grated cheddar ...

The Italian Spud - meat sauce, some sliced olives, sauteed mushrooms, top with mozzarella.

The Sweet 'n Sour SPAM spud ... ok, this one just popped into my head and I haven't tried to make it ... but something like diced SPAM, canned pineapple, some cherry tomatoes sauteed together, some 5-spice powder, a splash of vinegar ... topped with grated toasted coaconut? Ok - like I said - this one was totally off the wall ...

But, you get the idea. Don't 'ya?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

A good way to mush up the flesh a bit is to roll it on the counter before you cut it open.

Tags
None