"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Regarding potatoes i have cooked a peruvian dish called poor mans potatoes . Which is nice . If you would like the recipe plz say.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #42
Head Chef

favorite potato recipe..

very simple.. pan fried with a little onion. Serve with bread and butter and a hunk of colby cheese.

Thats a meal!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 03:41 AM   #43
Head Chef

I love potatoes any way they are cooked. Unfortunately, my hips love them, too.lol
Old 02-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #44
Sous Chef

My favorite is dum alu or potatoes in thick and rich gravy.

I can have it with roti, paratha, puri, plain rice, pulav, fried rice and even with 'moori' (puffed rice)
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #45
Sous Chef

Spinach and garlic mashed potatoes

I tried out this recipe and it turned out great, its sort of a way to be good and bad at the same time!

Steam spinach briefly then drain and chop finely, peel and boil potatoes in salt water until soft then drain and mash, add milk or butter or cream and mash some more, crush a garlic clove into the mashed potatoes and mash some more, add spinach and return briefly to the hob and mix in well.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #46
Sous Chef

Omena stew

Omena are fish found in Lake Victoria which is a fresh water lake. I have no idea if they can be found elsewhere and what they are called inn English, the name 'Omena' is a native language.
3 cups dried fish (Omena)

4 cups water
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 kilo tomatoes
2 large onions chopped
Salt to taste
2 cups milk

Wash the fish in cold water. Place in a pan and simmer gently in 4 cups of water until the water is nearly evaporated. Drop the tomatoes into boiling water, take them out and peel. Chop the tomatoes. In a frying pan heat the oil. Stir in the onions and tomatoes and cook gently until soft. Add the cooked fish and salt. Stir gently taking care not to crush the fish. Add the milk and simmer for about 30 minutes. The milk forms the gravy. Serve with ugali or rice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	omena.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	5641  
Old 10-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #47
Head Chef

jikoni, I'm not sure but they kind of look like what we call smelt, though I'm no expert, someone will know.
I have to say, I have a love/hate relationship with potatoes. They are a comfort food and high in potassium so they are yummy and good for nutrition (even better than bananas), but, they are high in carbs and not good for weight control and like someone else said for blood sugar levels. I use them in limited quantities, and more in the winter than the summer. When I do make them, I make double baked, and Cam potatoes. Cam is my son's name, we named the dish after him. We slice them skins on, dip both sides in olive oil (the oil of choice in this house), then season differently everytime. Cam always helps. Bake at 350F for an hour or better until browned and cooked through. It's always a good side dish to some meat dish.
I'm going to try a new potato dish this week-end, that a friend gave me, and then potatoes anna, just for fun too. Now I need to get a main dish going too, though I'm not sure where to start. ~Bliss
PS. I'm going to have Cam harvest the chives so we have them all winter.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #48
Head Chef

My favorite way to make garlic mashed potatoes is to caramelize sliced cloves of garlic (lots) in butter (lots) and then pour that into the potatoes as you mash them with cream, salt and pepper. Oh. It is so good.

Jikoni, we have those little fish here in Mexico - I have eaten them when visiting Lake Chapala, up in the highlands near Guadalajara. I think they are called charroles, but I can't remember for sure. They are fried right out of the lake and served as street food. Very good.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I love potatoes every which way except for twice-baked.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #50
Cook

Jikoni I'm originally from Michigan and I forgot all about smelt!!!

I try to stay away from the potatoes, but can't! South Beach Diet recommend that redskins are lower in simple carbs than traditional potatoes, so this is how I eat them:

I quarter redskins, skin several garlic cloves, and throw them in the steamer together.
when done, the garlic is nice and soft (similar to roasted) and I mash them up together with a bit of butter, and add chives. Nothing exotic but it's a nice side dish.

Savory Tv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None