Potato recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regarding potatoes i have cooked a peruvian dish called poor mans potatoes . Which is nice . If you would like the recipe plz say.

favorite potato recipe..

very simple.. pan fried with a little onion. Serve with bread and butter and a hunk of colby cheese.

Thats a meal!!!

My favorite is dum alu or potatoes in thick and rich gravy.

I can have it with roti, paratha, puri, plain rice, pulav, fried rice and even with 'moori' (puffed rice)

Spinach and garlic mashed potatoes

I tried out this recipe and it turned out great, its sort of a way to be good and bad at the same time!

Steam spinach briefly then drain and chop finely, peel and boil potatoes in salt water until soft then drain and mash, add milk or butter or cream and mash some more, crush a garlic clove into the mashed potatoes and mash some more, add spinach and return briefly to the hob and mix in well.

Omena stew

Omena are fish found in Lake Victoria which is a fresh water lake. I have no idea if they can be found elsewhere and what they are called inn English, the name 'Omena' is a native language.
3 cups dried fish (Omena)

4 cups water
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 kilo tomatoes
2 large onions chopped
Salt to taste
2 cups milk

Wash the fish in cold water. Place in a pan and simmer gently in 4 cups of water until the water is nearly evaporated. Drop the tomatoes into boiling water, take them out and peel. Chop the tomatoes. In a frying pan heat the oil. Stir in the onions and tomatoes and cook gently until soft. Add the cooked fish and salt. Stir gently taking care not to crush the fish. Add the milk and simmer for about 30 minutes. The milk forms the gravy. Serve with ugali or rice.

Attachments

• omena.jpg
    omena.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
jikoni, I'm not sure but they kind of look like what we call smelt, though I'm no expert, someone will know.
I have to say, I have a love/hate relationship with potatoes. They are a comfort food and high in potassium so they are yummy and good for nutrition (even better than bananas), but, they are high in carbs and not good for weight control and like someone else said for blood sugar levels. I use them in limited quantities, and more in the winter than the summer. When I do make them, I make double baked, and Cam potatoes. Cam is my son's name, we named the dish after him. We slice them skins on, dip both sides in olive oil (the oil of choice in this house), then season differently everytime. Cam always helps. Bake at 350°F for an hour or better until browned and cooked through. It's always a good side dish to some meat dish.
I'm going to try a new potato dish this week-end, that a friend gave me, and then potatoes anna, just for fun too. Now I need to get a main dish going too, though I'm not sure where to start. ~Bliss
PS. I'm going to have Cam harvest the chives so we have them all winter.

My favorite way to make garlic mashed potatoes is to caramelize sliced cloves of garlic (lots) in butter (lots) and then pour that into the potatoes as you mash them with cream, salt and pepper. Oh. It is so good.

Jikoni, we have those little fish here in Mexico - I have eaten them when visiting Lake Chapala, up in the highlands near Guadalajara. I think they are called charroles, but I can't remember for sure. They are fried right out of the lake and served as street food. Very good.

So many mouth watering recipes BUT I haven't seen one for potato croquettes - anyone care to share a real crowd pleaser.......

well i love to have potato deep fried with pepper and salt powder. one of my favourite dish:-p to enjoy in my weekend holiday..

So many mouth watering recipes BUT I haven't seen one for potato croquettes - anyone care to share a real crowd pleaser.......

My mom always made potato croquettes, and I loved them! She said she just mixed some flour and egg in with leftover mashed potatoes, rolled them in more flour, shaped them like a potato and fried them in the skillet.

I have never had mine turn out like hers, so obviously I missed something. Maybe I didn't get the grease hot enough.

My mom always made potato croquettes, and I loved them! She said she just mixed some flour and egg in with leftover mashed potatoes, rolled them in more flour, shaped them like a potato and fried them in the skillet.

I have never had mine turn out like hers, so obviously I missed something. Maybe I didn't get the grease hot enough.

I always add a little chives to mine (along with the egg and flour) and fry them up in bacon grease.

I have a different technique for making french fries. Common practice is to double fry the french fries. I have found (through experimentation) that if you parboil the french fries until they are cooked almost through, then deep fry them, they are very fluffy and light, with a wonderfully crispy outside, and a great potato flavor inside. I have also gotten great results by microwaving whole potatoes until done, then cutting into fries and deep frying them. In both instances, the potatoe is already cooked and just the very outer "skin" is crisped by the hot oil. The steam from the frying potatoes keeps the oil from penetrating any deeper, and you don't have to worry about overcooking the potato surface to get the inside all the way cooked through.

Granted, these methods take more work, but if you really love gourmet french fries, with great potato flavor, give these methods a try. I believe you will be impressed with the results.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Weed: I've got to try that. My fries always come out "limp", no matter if I "double fry" them or not.

Croquettes:

I stuff them with a cheddar stick, form the mashed potato mixture around them, roll them in fine bread crumbs (mixed with Parmesan, if you wish), deep fry at 375 till brown, then bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

jikoni, that recipe for the potato, tomato and onion bake sound great. it's a dish i'm definetly gonna have to try. :)

i love potatoes just about every way i've had them.

mashed w/gravy on top.
baked w/butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon bits, green onion. you name it.
fried in olive oil w/onions.
boiled and chopped

i guess i just love potatoes any way they can be prepared. :)

Back
Top Bottom