Potato Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonder what the purpose of the water is? At best I might be inclined to use stock instead. Any liquid would evaporate fairly fast anyway + get absorbed into the potatoes.

According to the recipe, it's to prevent the garlic from burning. I think that's the reason it takes so long, though - the surface of the potatoes can't brown while they're submerged, so you're waiting for the water to evaporate and then waiting for the potatoes to brown. It really shouldn't take that long to brown potato wedges.

I don't think the potatoes would absorb much flavor from the liquid. When they're steaming, they're forcing moisture out, not absorbing it. That's why the Cooks Illustrated recipe I posted has you toss the aromatics with the potatoes after cooking - when they cooked it all together, the garlic burned and the potatoes didn't have much flavor.

Last edited:
I bombard baking potatoes in my microwave (3 minutes for one, 5 minutes for two) then into the oven for 30 minutes. That cooks the potato in about half the time and gives you the desirable baked potato skin we all love.

Bingo!! I do exactly the same thing, only I use my toaster oven if the oven isn't being used. I cut a thin slice off of each end. When I married Steve, he did that. Why? Because his late wife did it and so did her mother. I swear it actually seems to make a difference.

An hour and 20 minutes @425ºF seems like an awful long time for potato wedges.
I actually cut the potatoes in half and use more oil than water, start skin-side up. The water does evaporate. Sometimes they are done before that. It depends on how fresh the potatoes are. The ones that are freshly dug from the garden usually take only 45 minutes.

I bombard baking potatoes in my microwave (3 minutes for one, 5 minutes for two) then into the oven for 30 minutes. That cooks the potato in about half the time and gives you the desirable baked potato skin we all love.
I have definitely done that. And yes, the skins come out just the way we like 'em. Most of the time I just pop 'em in the oven to bake and do other things. But there are times that shorter cooking time comes in handy.

My favourite way to eat scalloped potatoes:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...ovies-and-paste-please-72439.html#post1002917

Janssen's Temptation.

When I was in Stockholm, this was always part of the hot table at a smorgasbord. My friend would make it without bread crumbs on top. The trick so it doesn't get dry is to add more cream (half and half or half 35% and half light cream) halfway through the cooking process. And, you fill it to the top when you add the cream and drop the temperature. Really good the next day, too.

I sometimes bake a potato in the microwave until cooked through. I cut the spud in half, across the middle. Using hot pads to hold the hot spud half, I start stabbing into the potato flesh with a fork, then add a pat of butter, a little salt, and some black pepper. I continue stabbing with a fork until the potato flesh is well combined with the other stuff. A splash of milk then turns the potato into mashed potato in the skin. It's yummy and easy. People look at you funny in the work cafeteria when you do it there. Some are impressed. Some think I'm a crazy person, or at least odd. I don't care. I'm not doing it for them, but for me.

Use an apple core removal tool to make a tunnel the length of a potato. Fill the tunnel with something tasty. Cut the plug in half and insert in both ends. Bake until done through. Looks and tastes great.

Dice corned beef. Dice potatoes. Season with black pepper and fry together until the spuds are lightly browned. Does anybody not like corned beef hash?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I had corned beef hash for lunch. It's my throw together go-to lunch when I'm in a hurry - tinned corned beef, tinned potatoes, garlic, onions, worcestershire sauce, a little water to create a spot of gravy and a dash of mixed dried herbs. Very non-gourmet but surprisingly tasty.

Talking about potatoes, another quickie lunch is a jacket potato done in the m/wave (I prefer them done in the m/wave), split and served with taramasalats.

I also like gratin dauphinoise - sliced potatoes and cream baked in the oven - as a side dish with roast or broiled steak of chops. Some people add grated cheese on top which is good for a complete lunch dish but it isn't a proper gratin dauphinoise.

Aligot - mashed potatoes with cheese mixed in

I've done in the bone fire, after fire dies down, put potato in the embers with or without foil, (if you do not mind get your hand and face dirty :yum:) bake till done. Really depends on the size of the potato. I prefer white/yellow potato, not red.

One cannot describe the flavor of fire bake d potato, especially without foil. It is absolutely amazing. Wrapped in foil is also good, but closer to that of oven baked.

When my sister and I had a Girl Scout troop, we took them camping and they cooked their food over an open fire. The potatoes went in under the wood coals. They are drier and the skins are nice and crispy. No foil. They sat of the bed of rocks the fire was laid over. Then the wood fire over them. It heated the small rocks and baked the potatoes. They were always the first thing the girls started because they took the longest. The girls would make two each. One for their evening meal and one for the next morning with their bacon and eggs. It was always the favorite food of the whole trip. :angel:

Chief... great idea for the workplace. I wish I had thought of it before I retired in January. Otherwise though, I LOVE the firm skin. I can't wait to get to the skin, which I save for last... after the potato and the rest of the meal is gone. Then I savor it, breaking off pieces, adding a bit of butter, sour cream & salt. So unhealthy, but ohhh so good.

Re. crunchy potato skins. Baking them, then cutting into quarters and deep frying them (about 2 - 4 mins) produces golden and crunchy skins.

I have a deep fryer but feel I dare not use it since I am a crispaholic (you call them potato chips in US). If I started to deep fry...I would not be able to get out of the door eventually! :ohmy:

Fully loaded potato skins!:yum: Try twice baked, but deep fry the skins first!:yum:

Another way we like them is to peel, cut in large chunks, steam until just starting to get tender. Dump them on paper towels to dry off and cool for a while. Then, S&P and lots of olive oil. I toss with my hands (thus the cooling off mentioned earlier) and pop in the oven at 375 on a large cookie sheet, single layer, until a beautiful golden crispy crust forms and potatoes are soft and fluffy inside. Stir occasionally. It will be at least half an hour, more depending on how large you cut and how much water is in the potato that has to come out (thus steam instead of boil, which adds even more water). You need to use LOTS of olive oil because you basically are oven frying them.

I had these in Italy at a dinner in the Villa Medici in Florence in 2000. Besides the dinner performance and the company, these potatoes are the thing I remember about the meal.

Last edited:
I love to make twice-baked potatoes. Make baked potatoes, cut them in half and scoop out the insides into a bowl. Make mashed potatoes and add in stuff like grated cheddar cheese, fresh chopped parsley, bacon bits, dried onion flakes, etc. Top with a little more cheese and bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes till hot and cheese is melted.

I also love to make these Greek-style lemon-garlic potatoes from Cooks Illustrated: What A Dish!: Greek-Style Garlic-Lemon Potatoes

I was looking for something I could do with 2 leftover baked potatoes. Would these twice-baked potatoes work with baked potatoes that have been in the refrigerator for 2 days?

I was looking for something I could do with 2 leftover baked potatoes. Would these twice-baked potatoes work with baked potatoes that have been in the refrigerator for 2 days?

I cut the up for home fries the next morning with a couple of eggs and some bacon or breakfast sausages. :angel:

I cut the up for home fries the next morning with a couple of eggs and some bacon or breakfast sausages. :angel:

That's a good idea too, Addie. My husband loved steak fries. One time at a restaurant they only had baked potatoes, but they cut them in long strips and deep fried them for him. He loved them!

Bingo!! I do exactly the same thing, only I use my toaster oven if the oven isn't being used. I cut a thin slice off of each end. When I married Steve, he did that. Why? Because his late wife did it and so did her mother. I swear it actually seems to make a difference.
What temp do you bake them at, after the boiling step?

Back
Top Bottom