Potato Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bingo!! I do exactly the same thing, only I use my toaster oven if the oven isn't being used. I cut a thin slice off of each end. When I married Steve, he did that. Why? Because his late wife did it and so did her mother. I swear it actually seems to make a difference.

Reminds me of a story:

Young bride is making a brisket for a first ever dinner for parents and grandparents. Grandma is in the kitchen chatting with the young bride and watching her prep dinner.

The bride takes the brisket out of the fridge, cuts off one corner and puts it into the pan. Grandma asks why did she cut off the corner? Young bride answers, "Because that's the way you and mom do it.". Grandma chuckles and says, "I only do that so the brisket will fit in my pan."

A child looks at a potato peeler, frowns and then asks
"Mummy, this kills potatoes doesn't it?"

Well, DH was going to a car cruise on Sat and didn't want a big dinner, so I didn't make the twice baked potatoes. He just wanted a hamburger, so I made that, and used the leftover baked potatoes to make potato skins. I cut them in half scooped out the flesh and brushed them with melted butter and salt. 8 min per side in a 400 degree oven to crisp them up then while hot added the cheese, green onion and crumbled bacon. He has had them in restaurants but I have never made them at home, so he was impressed.

When I cook chicken on the grill, I light the right side of the grill and put the chicken on the left side and close the lid. I have started putting some potatoes on there to bake along with the chicken. I'm going to start making too many all the time now so I have leftovers to use for other recipes. DH doesn't usually eat leftovers, but I've never seen him turn down a potato dish. There are some good ones in this thread that I have copied.

Well, DH was going to a car cruise on Sat and didn't want a big dinner, so I didn't make the twice baked potatoes. He just wanted a hamburger, so I made that, and used the leftover baked potatoes to make potato skins. I cut them in half scooped out the flesh and brushed them with melted butter and salt. 8 min per side in a 400 degree oven to crisp them up then while hot added the cheese, green onion and crumbled bacon. He has had them in restaurants but I have never made them at home, so he was impressed.

When I cook chicken on the grill, I light the right side of the grill and put the chicken on the left side and close the lid. I have started putting some potatoes on there to bake along with the chicken. I'm going to start making too many all the time now so I have leftovers to use for other recipes. DH doesn't usually eat leftovers, but I've never seen him turn down a potato dish. There are some good ones in this thread that I have copied.

If you are able to put a pan below the chicken, put the potatoes in it and let the fat and juices from the chicken drip on the potatoes.

Carol, I have found that most folks who stated emphatically that they never eat leftovers, never know the difference when they are served to them in a different dish. :angel:

If you are able to put a pan below the chicken, put the potatoes in it and let the fat and juices from the chicken drip on the potatoes.

It's a gas grill. If I put a pan below the chicken it would be sitting on the briquettes but on the side of the grill that isn't lit. Is that ok?

Carol, I have found that most folks who stated emphatically that they never eat leftovers, never know the difference when they are served to them in a different dish. :angel:

Usually when I am cooking DH is in the kitchen nosing around. He would usually know if what I am making is left over from another meal. In this particular case he didn't seem to care. He does say that he never would eat cottage cheese, but he has! LOL He recently told me that he never even tasted cream cheese, but he loves cheese cake and eats it all the time. I wonder what he thinks it's made from.

Has anyone had a baked potato done on a barbecue (in foil)? (I believe its placed in the embers). Am wondering how the flavour compares with baking one in the oven. Of course this assumes that it is just a potato comparison, I daresay things are added to the barbecued potato.

In foil, you are just steaming them. You won't get that nice crispy skin. Like Crag, I too have made them directly in the campfire. Amazing what you can teach a bunch of Girl Scouts. :angel:

I have a question re. potato rosti.

It seems whenever I make these, I invariably get an almost burnt crust (even on low setting!) and fairly rawish inside it....just about palatable/acceptable. Maybe they are not meant to be totally cooked through i.e. have some bite to them?

I don't even use raw potato, i.e. I par-bake a potato and tend to use it the next day - grated (not watery). Maybe it's the thickness but it's usually inbetween a quarter to half an inch thick. I use oil with some butter in the pan and flatten it down with a spatula, turning halfway through.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom