"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Wonder what the purpose of the water is? At best I might be inclined to use stock instead. Any liquid would evaporate fairly fast anyway + get absorbed into the potatoes.
According to the recipe, it's to prevent the garlic from burning. I think that's the reason it takes so long, though - the surface of the potatoes can't brown while they're submerged, so you're waiting for the water to evaporate and then waiting for the potatoes to brown. It really shouldn't take that long to brown potato wedges.

I don't think the potatoes would absorb much flavor from the liquid. When they're steaming, they're forcing moisture out, not absorbing it. That's why the Cooks Illustrated recipe I posted has you toss the aromatics with the potatoes after cooking - when they cooked it all together, the garlic burned and the potatoes didn't have much flavor.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I bombard baking potatoes in my microwave (3 minutes for one, 5 minutes for two) then into the oven for 30 minutes. That cooks the potato in about half the time and gives you the desirable baked potato skin we all love.
Bingo!! I do exactly the same thing, only I use my toaster oven if the oven isn't being used. I cut a thin slice off of each end. When I married Steve, he did that. Why? Because his late wife did it and so did her mother. I swear it actually seems to make a difference.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
An hour and 20 minutes @425ºF seems like an awful long time for potato wedges.
I actually cut the potatoes in half and use more oil than water, start skin-side up. The water does evaporate. Sometimes they are done before that. It depends on how fresh the potatoes are. The ones that are freshly dug from the garden usually take only 45 minutes.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #44
Master Chef

Then there's always my favorite holiday potato dish..
Perfect Scalloped Potatoes

Love all the ideas in this thread!! Thanks to all.......

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #45
Cook

Quote:
I bombard baking potatoes in my microwave (3 minutes for one, 5 minutes for two) then into the oven for 30 minutes. That cooks the potato in about half the time and gives you the desirable baked potato skin we all love.
I have definitely done that. And yes, the skins come out just the way we like 'em. Most of the time I just pop 'em in the oven to bake and do other things. But there are times that shorter cooking time comes in handy.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

My favourite way to eat scalloped potatoes:

Your ideas for using anchovies & paste, please

Janssen's Temptation.

When I was in Stockholm, this was always part of the hot table at a smorgasbord. My friend would make it without bread crumbs on top. The trick so it doesn't get dry is to add more cream (half and half or half 35% and half light cream) halfway through the cooking process. And, you fill it to the top when you add the cream and drop the temperature. Really good the next day, too.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I sometimes bake a potato in the microwave until cooked through. I cut the spud in half, across the middle. Using hot pads to hold the hot spud half, I start stabbing into the potato flesh with a fork, then add a pat of butter, a little salt, and some black pepper. I continue stabbing with a fork until the potato flesh is well combined with the other stuff. A splash of milk then turns the potato into mashed potato in the skin. It's yummy and easy. People look at you funny in the work cafeteria when you do it there. Some are impressed. Some think I'm a crazy person, or at least odd. I don't care. I'm not doing it for them, but for me.

Use an apple core removal tool to make a tunnel the length of a potato. Fill the tunnel with something tasty. Cut the plug in half and insert in both ends. Bake until done through. Looks and tastes great.

Dice corned beef. Dice potatoes. Season with black pepper and fry together until the spuds are lightly browned. Does anybody not like corned beef hash?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I had corned beef hash for lunch. It's my throw together go-to lunch when I'm in a hurry - tinned corned beef, tinned potatoes, garlic, onions, worcestershire sauce, a little water to create a spot of gravy and a dash of mixed dried herbs. Very non-gourmet but surprisingly tasty.

Talking about potatoes, another quickie lunch is a jacket potato done in the m/wave (I prefer them done in the m/wave), split and served with taramasalats.

I also like gratin dauphinoise - sliced potatoes and cream baked in the oven - as a side dish with roast or broiled steak of chops. Some people add grated cheese on top which is good for a complete lunch dish but it isn't a proper gratin dauphinoise.

Aligot - mashed potatoes with cheese mixed in
Old 08-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I've done in the bone fire, after fire dies down, put potato in the embers with or without foil, (if you do not mind get your hand and face dirty ) bake till done. Really depends on the size of the potato. I prefer white/yellow potato, not red.

One cannot describe the flavor of fire bake d potato, especially without foil. It is absolutely amazing. Wrapped in foil is also good, but closer to that of oven baked.
When my sister and I had a Girl Scout troop, we took them camping and they cooked their food over an open fire. The potatoes went in under the wood coals. They are drier and the skins are nice and crispy. No foil. They sat of the bed of rocks the fire was laid over. Then the wood fire over them. It heated the small rocks and baked the potatoes. They were always the first thing the girls started because they took the longest. The girls would make two each. One for their evening meal and one for the next morning with their bacon and eggs. It was always the favorite food of the whole trip.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #49
Cook

Chief... great idea for the workplace. I wish I had thought of it before I retired in January. Otherwise though, I LOVE the firm skin. I can't wait to get to the skin, which I save for last... after the potato and the rest of the meal is gone. Then I savor it, breaking off pieces, adding a bit of butter, sour cream & salt. So unhealthy, but ohhh so good.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #50
Head Chef

Re. crunchy potato skins. Baking them, then cutting into quarters and deep frying them (about 2 - 4 mins) produces golden and crunchy skins.

I have a deep fryer but feel I dare not use it since I am a crispaholic (you call them potato chips in US). If I started to deep fry...I would not be able to get out of the door eventually!

Tags
potato, recipe

Potato Recipes The rain kind of changed our plans so I made my coffee, and vegetated in bed watching TV and looking up some recipes on the laptop. Brunch was in my immediate future. I had one sm.-med. red potato left. First I was thinking home fries (lots of variations for those), then decided on a potato pancake. I got my guidance from Giada De Laurentiis on the Food Network site. I say "guidance" because I'm making it for one, so I've gotten used to winging it with recipes. I shredded the potato and squeezed out the moisture using a cheesecloth and put that in a small bowl. In a small fry pan I sautéed a small amount of chopped onion in a little olive oil and added 1 clove of crushed garlic to that. I added that to the potato along with a handful of grated parmesan cheese, salt & pepper, and chopped fresh basil. And, I had a small amount of grated cheddar and crumbled bacon I had used for a cauliflower crust grilled cheese, so I mixed that in too. No egg or flour in this recipe. I added a little more olive oil to the pan and then added and pressed down the potato mixture in the heated pan. After peeking at the bottom for doneness, I gently flipped it over. To my amazement, it flipped over perfectly. I slid it onto the plate when done and put it back in the low oven with my turkey bacon to keep warm while I fried an egg. Then plopped that egg right on top! Not only pretty... but delicious! [URL=http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/janetmillr/media/Potatopancake_zps233434ba.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag265/janetmillr/Potatopancake_zps233434ba.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Would love to seem some more potato recipes (potato skins, home fries, potato cakes, etc.) A little hint that saved a step when making home fries. I cut the potatoes up super little... added seasonings and grated onion... didn't have to par cook the potatoes. 4 stars 1 reviews