Potato vs. Sweet Potato vs. Yam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
Potato, Sweet Potato, Yam. I used to think that Sweet potatoes and Yams were the same thing, but they apparantly are not the same since my grocer has Sweet Potatoes (White Inside) and Yams (orange inside). Which is healthiest? Is there a big difference? I'm curious.

Sweet potatoes come in two varieties, white and orange. The origin of the "yam" is that growers in Mississippi (I think) developed an orange sweet potato and wanted some way of differentiating it from the popular white sweet potato so they dubbed it a yam. It's a marketing thing.

True yams are uncommon in the USA and are huge, up to three feet long. They are a common starch in the islands of the Caribbean.

All I know about it is that I prefer the white sweets. Nice nutty flavor.

LOL. I am far from an expert on this let alone an informed source! It is just what I was told growing up.
Heck, I didn't even know there were white ones!

That aint helpin, LOL!

The first one that looks yellow is what we always called a yam. The second one, the tropical yam never heard of before. The third one that looks orange is what I have always known as a sweet potato. The fourth one the Japanese one I never heard of before either, LOL.
So apparently I have it backwards of what most Americans apparently say!

Well, in New Zealand, we have yams and kumara (which come in different varieties - most common are red, gold and white). We don't really have anything which we call a sweet potato, but kumera comes closest, I guess.

(Pics below are of kumara (top) and yams (bottom)).

I know this picture is kind of small, but these are actual yams. You can get an idea of the size.

We always called them sweet potatoes, they are orange and are terrific baked, then put butter and brown sugar on them...

True yams are starchy, white inside, and can be quite large (3-6 feet long) and almost never seen in the US except for in some specialty markets ... the things that are called "yams" in the US (up to about 1-foot long) are either mislabeled by ignorant grocers or a variety of orange sweet potatoes from Louisiana. Andy M. was right about it being a marketing ploy for the orange variety of sweet potato - just the wrong side of the Mississippi river. :LOL:
Sweet potatoes range from pale yellow to bright orange. Probably doesn't help in differentiating them from other potatoes - unless you look at the shape of the tuber, and the skin color.

As for nutrition ... I have never seen a comparison ... but I would assume they would be comperable. Starch is nothing more than just very long chains of sugar .....

That's strange. I have never heard of a white sweet potato, and I LOVE sweet potatoes! (Or are they yams? ;) ) I have known that yams are commonly eaten in African countries, and even used as a form of currency. I don't think I've ever tasted one, but I would imagine they are more similar to sweet potatoes than regular potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom