"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 07-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Potatoe Cakes

I'm helping out my family more during the summer and making a dish or two for a dish every couple days. Yesterday, I made potatoe cakes as a side dish with burgers. All I did was grate two potatoes, chop some green onions and mix. Then I fried them in a frying pan on medium heat for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side in some extra virgin olive oil. I found that they took a lot longer than they were suppose to, (i got the recipe from a t.v. show), and when I put more olive oil in the pan they turned out quite greasy. The taste was good but very simple. I was wondering if anyone had any suggedtions to help me make these cook faster and taste a bit more zippier without going to far! thanks ~emz~

Gone. Like yesterday is gone.
~emz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Executive Chef
You can par boil the potatoes,grate them add a little minced oniom salt and pepper you will need less oil that way.Or do a swiss rosti will send recipe in a minute.

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Try adding a beaten egg, s&p, garlic powder. Voila - Potato pancakes.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
The potato was greasy because you added oil to the pan. That cooled down the contents and allowed the potato to soak up some oil.

If you put more oil in the pan to start and get it hot before adding the potato, you shouldn't have that problem again.

Also, after shredding the potato, wring out as much water as possible by rolling the potato up in a towel and twisting the towel to wring out water. This will speed up the cooking process.

Instead of green onion, use yellow onion, garlic and some paprika with a dash of cayenne.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Have you tried a Spanish Tortilla? It's unlike a Mexican 'tortilla' - consists of eggs, potatoes and onions - like a 'cake' about 1" thick. When I have a chance I'll post the recipe for ya.

Here ya go:
Spanish Tortilla - Tortilla Espanola
mish is offline   Reply With Quote