"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 06-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Potatoes are a vegetable...

...so I shall post this here rather that complain about not having a "junk food" forum.

I have been wanting to review Zapp's potato chips but I keep not having the desire for potato chips. I look at the bag knowing that I want to review them, but don't have the craving so don't buy them.

When I get the craving watch out. I will be very opinionated. The only chips I've had that were better were ones a neighbor from long ago brought to me.

The Zapps are made 2 hours from me by road. They are cooked in a kettle with oil. They have flavors but when I want a chip I want to taste potato not flavors.

I also got a mandolin and a thermometer for deep frying. I shall attempt to make them. I think I can do it but if I fail I shall try until I master it. If only I had the craving for them.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
Head Chef

Yep, I've written about them before. My favs are the plain ones and the sweet onion chips. DD and her family like those, as well as the Vodoo, salt and vinegar. The SIL was born on the West Bank and DD went to college in NO. When i would go see my dad, I'd always load up on Zapps, Abita and mudbugs on my way home.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
...so I shall post this here rather that complain about not having a "junk food" forum.

I have been wanting to review Zapp's potato chips but I keep not having the desire for potato chips. I look at the bag knowing that I want to review them, but don't have the craving so don't buy them.

When I get the craving watch out. I will be very opinionated. The only chips I've had that were better were ones a neighbor from long ago brought to me.

The Zapps are made 2 hours from me by road. They are cooked in a kettle with oil. They have flavors but when I want a chip I want to taste potato not flavors.

I also got a mandolin and a thermometer for deep frying. I shall attempt to make them. I think I can do it but if I fail I shall try until I master it. If only I had the craving for them.
Choose the right potatoes, IMO Yukon gold, sliced thin, make the best chips. Once sliced, an ice water soak is a must, 30 minutes to an hour! Spin dry in a salad spinner and complete the drying on paper towels. Oil to 350F, use a candy thermometer. Fry until golden, drain on paper towels and while draining, sprinkle with salt or whatever seasoning mix you like. BTW, we love Zapps! I have been seeing more and more folks blanching fries and wondering if that will work to make chips more crispy.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Yep, I've written about them before. My favs are the plain ones and the sweet onion chips. DD and her family like those, as well as the Vodoo, salt and vinegar. The SIL was born on the West Bank and DD went to college in NO. When i would go see my dad, I'd always load up on Zapps, Abita and mudbugs on my way home.
You have good taste
Old 06-28-2016, 02:37 AM   #5
Sous Chef

What are mudbugs?

I'd love to try making potato chips one day. I saw a recipe for salt and vinegar potatoes, so I wonder if you soak them in vinegar instead of water, what they'd end up tasting like.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:49 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
What are mudbugs?
Crawfish.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:07 AM   #7
Senior Cook

You all know I love you and you were just kinda' asking for a crawfish and potato recipe. I mean, Moderators? Given I have one, can I not post it?
Old 06-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
You all know I love you and you were just kinda' asking for a crawfish and potato recipe. I mean, Moderators? Given I have one, can I not post it?
If it's your recipe, you can post it. Start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum and go for it.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post

According to the advocates of "5-a-day" (or however many they insist upon where you are) potatoes are not a vegetable. Tough, they are to me, so there.

I'm sure I've seen a "recipe" for making potato chips without frying. Perhaps you would find it on Google?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Crawfish.
OK, thanks, I've never heard them referred to as that. That's pretty cool.

Tags
potato, potatoes