"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Potatoes ~ Couple of Questions

Okay, so my potatoes are turning green so I'm peeling them now and I'm going to make some mashed potatoes so the question is: can I freeze potatoes? Can I freeze the mashed potatoes? Can I slice the raw potatoes and just freeze them? I just don't want to waste an entire 10 pound bag of potatoes, I can't afford to toss any more perfectly good food.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I have never frozen mashed potatoes, only because whenever I make them I eat them all because I love carbs so much. I would assume it would be fine to make a bunch of mashed potatoes and freeze the stuff you are not going to eat that day. I have never heard of anyone freezing sliced or whole potatoes, so I am not sure if that would work. I would just make some delicious garlic mashed potatoes and freeze the stuff you are not going to eat. Freeze them in feezer bags and put a normal family serving size in each bag. Then just thaw and reheat a serving size when you want it.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

If you keep the whole potatoes in a cool dark place the greening should be kept to a minimum. When preparing them, just peel or cut off the green part. The rest of the potato will be OK.

Potatoes don't freeze well raw, whole or sliced. I've frozen mashed potatoes on a shepherd's pie and they seemed OK.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I keep trying to find a cool dark place and keep striking out. I have heard you can buy playground sand and bury the potatoes in it and they keep for a long time. I'm getting to the point of trying that.

I'll just mash them and hope.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I have heard you can buy playground sand and bury the potatoes in it and they keep for a long time. I'm getting to the point of trying that.
I saw Alton Brown do that. He took a large container filled with clean sand and buried all his root veggies in there. I thought that was a pretty clever idea if you have the room for something like that. The only problem I see is that you do not know what is in there unless you keep a list or something.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I keep trying to find a cool dark place and keep striking out. I have heard you can buy playground sand and bury the potatoes in it and they keep for a long time. I'm getting to the point of trying that.

I'll just mash them and hope.

I've seen colonial/early American museums where they show that. Every home had a root cellar where they kept root vegetables and other hearty veggies over the winter buried in sand.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I saw Alton Brown do that. He took a large container filled with clean sand and buried all his root veggies in there. I thought that was a pretty clever idea if you have the room for something like that. The only problem I see is that you do not know what is in there unless you keep a list or something.
I love lists. I wouldn't have thought of that but now that's in my head as part of the plan. I have a stack of bins where I keep canned foods and boxed stuff out next to my washer and dryer so I could convert one of those to hold potatoes too.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

A dry erase board would work well for that.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
A dry erase board would work well for that.
Am I that transparent? I have several of those around my house plus multiple lists on my BlackBerry.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

I am the same way. I have dry erase lists at home and at work, lists on my iPhone, online lists, and paper lists at home. Even with all those lists though, I am a very spontaneous person

Tags
None