Potatoes - To Peel or Not to Peel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For vodka I'd use pure sugar, who needs potato.

As far as pigs goes the thing is that back in Soviet days, that is exactly what people did to feed the pigs. There was no special feeds for anymals, any anymals, so people would have to cook for them. So the y would boil some potato add a day old bread, mix all together and here we go sckin on mashed potato for pigs, brrrrrrrrrr

the Potatoe drink is the Irish Poteen.
feed the mash to the pigs and marinade your pork from the Inside too :D

I slice mine really, really thin so I just leave the skin on. I, like BigDog, have cooked mine in olive oil and they were wonderful!!!!

I also like the skins removed for mashed potatoes, but left on for fries, etc. The skins are rich in calcium, phosphorus, zinc and vitamin B, so it is best from a nutrition stand-point to leave them on when possible (and if you like it that way);)

I like them both ways, and for frying usually leave them on. I soak them in a little soapy water for a bit if they are very dirty, then scrub and rinse well and dry. But sometimes peeling is the only answer. There is no "right way" on this issue, it is just what you personally llike. For example, my mom used to tell us the green part under the skin on some potatoes was the most nutritious, then I learned that it is poisonous, and now who knows what people believe. Obviously if it was poisonous my entire family would be dead. In a marriage, our agreement is s/he who does the job rules. The person who has an opinion on a job they are NOT doing, well, their opinion doesn't much count. I personally boil and mash idaho potatoes after peeling, but it all depends on the variety, what I'm doing with it, how dirty it is, how big the potatoes are.

Personally, I prefer to leave the skins on for everything. However, PeppA, my other half, does NOT like the skins, at all. As a result, I peel russets for everything, except baked, which I rarely make anyways.

Skins all the way, and not just for the nutrients! Dirty smashed with garlic is a favorite around here, as are steak fries w/skins.

I grew up with my mother taking the skins off (Many moons ago), but now I leave the skins on nearly all the time, except if my autistic son is home. He has tactile issue so the skins wig him out. And even with that, sometimes I pull his aside and cook his separately.

I love the texture that the skins leave in dishes!

I am taking the skin off the potato. There is only one case when I am not doing it. It is when the potato is wery young and the skin is soft.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom