Preparing seeds from fresh tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjcotton

Senior Cook
I want to take seeds from my Mortgage Buster/Lifter tomatoes and get them ready for planting next year. I haven't the foggiest idea of how to do this. Do I squeeze the seeds out then lay them out on a paper towel to dry? Do I dry them in my food dehydrator? Any ideas out there?

This is a great "how to" site. http://gardening.about.com/od/totallytomatoes/ss/TomatoSeeds.htm

I followed the easy instructions last year, when I wanted to save seeds from a co-worker's lovely Ultra Sweet tomato plant. Worked perfectly and I planted, germinated and gave away 30 tomato plants (saved 6 for myself) from the seeds I treated this way.

This year's crop of Ultra Sweets is gorgeous!

Good luck!

Lee

One problem with hybrids though, is that they do not do well from seed. I found that out some time ago. Otherwise I just save the seeds, dry them out and package to plant at the right time.

Another problem is if your mortgage buster tomatoes were planted next to another variety of tomatoe, where cross-pollination may occur, resulting in a totally different tomatoe plant next year if you use those seeds. As far as drying your seeds, I would just scoop the pulp and seeds into a fine mesh colander and rinse off with water to eliminate the pulp, then lay the seeds on a paper towel to dry out completely, then place into an airtight container.

Thank you all for your answers. QSis, I checked out that site and it answered my questions, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom