"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I store my onions in the fridge with no problems, have done it for years. And cold onions don't make you cry so much.

I keep them in their own crisper drawer. Don't put fruit in with them, unless you want a new taste sensation in your apple pie.
I keep mine in the fridge too, though my mother didn't. I bought a 10 lb bag of boiler onions and didn't put them in the fridge, because the bag was too big. By the time I was half way through the bag of onions, most of them were soft and yucky.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I keep mine in the fridge too, though my mother didn't. I bought a 10 lb bag of boiler onions and didn't put them in the fridge, because the bag was too big. By the time I was half way through the bag of onions, most of them were soft and yucky.
The next time take them out of the bag and just drop them in the crisper drawer. When they are in the bag, they are two,three layers high. Dropped in the drawer, they spread out to one,two layers. Then you can close the drawer.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The next time take them out of the bag and just drop them in the crisper drawer. When they are in the bag, they are two,three layers high. Dropped in the drawer, they spread out to one,two layers. Then you can close the drawer.
That's a good idea, but even loose, I'm not sure that 10 lbs of little onions would have fit in the crisper. (They were more like 20-30 layers high). At $1.99 for the 10 lb bag, it's not a big loss - I just hate seeing food go to waste.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That's a good idea, but even loose, I'm not sure that 10 lbs of little onions would have fit in the crisper. (They were more like 20-30 layers high). At $1.99 for the 10 lb bag, it's not a big loss - I just hate seeing food go to waste.
What doesn't fit in the drawer, slice and freeze them. Just like you get at the grocery store. They freeze very well. I slice my in big slices. Then if I need dice ones, I can dice them when I take them out of the freezer. Sometimes I want the sliced ones for liver. Sometimes I need diced for chowders.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
I had to laugh when I read this!

I just bought a 10 lb bag of boiler onions at the farmers market, I could not pass up all of those onions for only $4.00.

I should learn to just pay full price and be happy!

Now I am on an onion diet!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Onions should be fine stored in a cellar/basement or other cool dry space. That's where early Americans stored them all winter long (hence the term root cellar-where root vegetables re stored). A garage in a cooler climate (such as Canada in October) would also be a good spot.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Onions should be fine stored in a cellar/basement or other cool dry space. That's where early Americans stored them all winter long (hence the term root cellar-where root vegetables re stored). A garage in a cooler climate (such as Canada in October) would also be a good spot.
Homes down south are built on cement slabs. (Termintes) And most of them have a car port, no garage. On ranches in Texas, a lot of the homes do build a root cellar. They are far out and making a run to town just to pick up one or two items is not feasible. A trip to town is usually once a month.

Now I can't store any root veggies in the cellar. The only thing there, are the mechanical things like a furnace, hot water tanks, etc. Not feasible. So for folks like us use the fridge.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I store mine in the fridge too. In the same crisper drawer as the apples! My apples taste just fine, as do my onions, no flavor transfer. The onions last a long time, and no mold. I'm also storing garlic in the fridge, no problems.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Homes down south are built on cement slabs. (Termintes) And most of them have a car port, no garage. On ranches in Texas, a lot of the homes do build a root cellar. They are far out and making a run to town just to pick up one or two items is not feasible. A trip to town is usually once a month.

Now I can't store any root veggies in the cellar. The only thing there, are the mechanical things like a furnace, hot water tanks, etc. Not feasible. So for folks like us use the fridge.

I was responding to taxlady who lives in Canada
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In the garage would be great, but it's a communal garage and we aren't supposed to leave anything but our cars in the garage. I think it's actually a city bylaw. I'm just as happy knowing that no one is storing dangerous chemicals in the garage, like old paint and paint remover.

Tags
onions