"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Cook

Problem with black spots on onions

I bought from 3 stores & everytime I get onions I find black mold spots in the first layer or two,sometimes 3rd layer too on every onion.I usually get sweet d's organic or vidalia.Both have had this black mold.I just been cutting those areas out & washing them off very thoroughly.Anyone run into this problem with onions often at stores?It irritates me very much

Old 09-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

The problem is in the dirt. Then they are washed before the are packed for sale. They are not always thoroughtly dry when they are packed so it gives the mold a chance to grow again. I too just cut them out and use the onion. I have never had a prblem doing this. Just continue to do what you have been doing. Cut out the spots and wash them thoroughly. If there are any unseen spores left, the heat of cooking will kill them.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

It happens. I just peel off the damaged layers and proceed.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Head Chef

Like Andy says, it happens, and if that's the onion you're working with, well it's lucky they have layered dividers, so they can still be partially usable.

Speaking of Spots. My basil was starting to get black spots on some of the larger/ lower leaves. I cut the top halves of the plants and did a final marathon Pesto making over two days. I think I have about 40+ pkgs in the freezer from this summer's harvests.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I agree with the others, I peel down until the onion is clean and free of mold.

This year I have found the same thing with a couple of cabbages.

I wish I could peel back a few layers!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I buy organic red onions at Trader Joe's and rarely run into this problem. You must store the onions in a dark, cool place with good air circulation. Never refrigerate a dry onion unless you have cut it and have some left over. Also, it depends on the area where you live. If it is a humid area, there is a higher chance of mold. I also agree with the post above --- sometimes there is a fungus in the ground where onions are grown and it leads to mold on the onions, especially if they are not thoroughly dried. As others have said --- just peel off the layers and use the good parts of the onions. Onions are one of the best things you can eat!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCooks View Post
I buy organic red onions at Trader Joe's and rarely run into this problem. You must store the onions in a dark, cool place with good air circulation. Never refrigerate a dry onion unless you have cut it and have some left over. Also, it depends on the area where you live. If it is a humid area, there is a higher chance of mold. I also agree with the post above --- sometimes there is a fungus in the ground where onions are grown and it leads to mold on the onions, especially if they are not thoroughly dried. As others have said --- just peel off the layers and use the good parts of the onions. Onions are one of the best things you can eat!
I agree w/ Shelly re storing the onions. Have not encountered any black mold or spots.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Executive Chef

We store our onions in a hanging basket in our kitchen. They are subject to ambient light and the kitchen lights at night. We usually have at least one or two left when we go to the grocery, so they may hang for 7-10 days before getting used. Very rarely do we have a "mold" problem and it is usually in the outer layers that would be discarded anyway. I do notice that sometimes the onions in the grocery are cold, like they have been in cold storage. These are now out in the ambient store temperature. This seems to be when I most notice the "mold" issue.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Head Chef

I store my onions in the fridge with no problems, have done it for years. And cold onions don't make you cry so much.

I keep them in their own crisper drawer. Don't put fruit in with them, unless you want a new taste sensation in your apple pie.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I store my onions in the fridge with no problems, have done it for years. And cold onions don't make you cry so much.

I keep them in their own crisper drawer. Don't put fruit in with them, unless you want a new taste sensation in your apple pie.
That is the most recommended way to store them. Keep them in their original bag and give them their own crisper drawer. You can store other veggies with them, but be prepared for the taste to travel and enhance your celery. In the summer, I also store my potatoes in there. Keep them from sprouting eyes.

Tags
onions