"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

good luck otter.

my favorite line when a goal is scored top shelf "oh, he put that puck where norman kept his mother. upstairrrrssssss"...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:54 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Well, our little local school lost to the defending national champions, and #1 ranked school - in sudden death overtime. The U of MN also went to overtime, but won. I don't think they are playing well enough to win, but they are still in it.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:13 AM   #13
Everymom

Otter and bucky, thanks so much for clarifying all of this for me. I am going to try it tonight too. I got some LOVELY asparagus and maybe if I wrap it in meat my kids will eat it! LOL! Happy Easter to you both.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:52 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

you are welcome alix. how did it come out? did the kids eat it?

otter, yours sounds so good with the cheese. i made mine today, by blanching, ice bath, and wrapping, then reheat in the oven like you suggested. the slices of proscuitto i bought were huge, maybe 14 inches across by 4 inches wide, and came apart into 2 thinner strips very easily at a thin line of fat running thru the middle. so it was easily wrapped, then drizzled with evoo and lots of fresh cracked pepper. after all that, dw just picked off the proscuitto anyway. i guess it was kinda salty ham overkill as we had it with baked ham and kielbasi with kraut. but i'll be trying your recipe with fontina very soon...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:24 AM   #15
Sous Chef

buckytom, you made yours identical to mine except for the cheese. It is good plain, but I think you'll like it even better with the cheese - it's sort of a chicken cordon bleu effect. I cut the cheese into thin strips, sort of like oversized matchsticks, and nestle them inside the asparagus. I think you will like it even more if you have it with something other than ham - probably a bit of salt overload.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #16
Everymom

It was WONDERFUL. And no,the kids didn't eat it. Big surprise after 900lbs of chocolate! We (the adults) hoovered it all though! I agree it was a bit picky to do, but when you are doing just a turkey and potatoes you have time to be picky. I couldn't find fontina so I used some lovely gouda that we had lying around. And I sliced mine thin and rolled it with the proscuitto. It was a bit messy! I will lay it along the asparagus next time and seal it up with the proscuitto. Good call that one. This was a for sure do again!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:33 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Um proscuitto wrapped asparagus? Is that posted somewhere? I would LOVE that recipe.
Hi Alix, I roast my grass, in a 400 oven about 12 minutes, I like the crunchy as does my family, before roaating I drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle with gray or coarse kosher salt and cracked black pepper..After roasting I let them come to room temp wrap with the procuitto, then place on my serving platter, add more evoo and salt and pepper if needed I then shave some parmesan over the whole thing..but I think I'll try shaving some fontina over them next time..Should be yummy.
kadesma
Old 04-01-2005, 08:15 AM   #18
Sous Chef

I had some asparagus left, but no prosciutto, so I used bacon. Since bacon isn't cured like prosciutto I had to cook it longer - 20 minutes at 400* - but it came out great. The bacon is definitely a lot easier to wrap than the prosciutto.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
I had some asparagus left, but no prosciutto, so I used bacon. Since bacon isn't cured like prosciutto I had to cook it longer - 20 minutes at 400* - but it came out great. The bacon is definitely a lot easier to wrap than the prosciutto.
Hi Otter, bacon sounds like a nice change, think I'll try some Italian bacon,pancetta, if sliced thinly it cooks quickly. Thanks for the idea
kadesma
Old 04-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #20
Everymom

Ooooo kadesma, thanks for the tips. I think I will sprinkle with parmesan next time. That sounds way easier. I am soooo glad I found this recipe. My husband I went mental for it.

Tags
None