"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-26-2005, 08:13 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Talking Proscuitto Wrapped Asparagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I'm sure you'll like the new fontina too - fontina is just wonderful!
I'm looking into figuring out a good cheese sauce - one that's quite mild, possibly with a hint of nutmeg & diced portabellos in it. any ideas?
I'm not really into cheese sauces (mostly just snack or melt on something - going to put some in my Prosciutto wrapped asparagus on Easter) so I can't be of any assistance. About as exotic I get on cheese sauces is a simple Mornay sauce. I tried the new Fontina yesterday and it was comparable to the other one.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Everymom

Um proscuitto wrapped asparagus? Is that posted somewhere? I would LOVE that recipe.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

alix, a few of us posted something about the asparagrass. it's simple, just toss with evoo and s&p, roast or sautee the asparagrass until just beginning to get softened, then wrap and "tie" long thin slices of proscuitto around a coupla pieces. if you want, drizzle with a little more evoo.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:24 AM   #4
Everymom

Thanks bucky, I am assuming the fontina would be wrapped under the prosciutto? How did I miss that thread?
Old 03-26-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

umm, is fontina a hard cheese. if so, i would think it would be shaved over top. or it could be made into a sauce to pour over top.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:39 AM   #6
Everymom

Must admit to never having had fontina, but reading all those posts about it I am thinking of finding some.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:42 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Since the Prosciutto is quite thin and would be overcooked if left in for the same time as the asparagus, I put the asparagus in boiling water for about 3-4 minutes and then blanch in ice water. Then I wrap the Prosciutto around the individual serving-sized bunches and put in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes (you can also add a nice soft cheese if you wish). Cooking times quoted will vary slightly depending on how thick the asparagus is and how well done you want it). I prefer the blanching method for two reasons: 1). the spears aren't hot when you are wrapping them and 2). blanching keeps them a nice, bright green. For a more detailed description, other options and pictures do a Google search for "prosciutto wrapped asparagus."
Old 03-26-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Fontina is a soft cheese, and since jkath got me hooked on it, it has become one of my favorites. If you want to grate it, I recommend putting it in the freezer for 30+ minutes and spraying your grater with Pam.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:51 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks otter! i have only had fontina melted on toasted herb garlic bread (called bubbly bread from a place on sanibel island).

does the flavor/saltiness of the prosciutto intensify by baking it like in your recipe?

i think i'll be making this tomorrow, since asparagus is in season and i just picked up some bewdiful di parma, danielle brand. very little streaks of fat.

Old 03-26-2005, 12:51 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
does the flavor/saltiness of the prosciutto intensify by baking it like in your recipe?
I don't know if it intensifies, but it is awesomely good - the tastes seem to meld together in a super combination. I'm going to have to leave now - my current hometown - Bemidji - is playing the #1 team in the country to a standstill in the NCAA hockey tournament (2-2 after the first period) and then my alma mater (U of MN) will be playing in the next game.

Tags
None