Purple Artichokes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
My daughter brought me two beautiful artichokes today. They are dark purple almost black on the outside, if you pull back the leaves you see the pale green of an ordinary artichoke..These are from Trader Joes and they have no stickers on the ends of the leaves nor are they supposed to have much thistle in the center. I'll be cooking them tomorrow and see if this is so. Also they are supposed to cook more quickly than the regular green artichoke. Has anyone had these beauties?
kadesma:)

They sound wonderful. Don't be surprised if the purple turns to green while cooking. Yum.

Kadesma
Some of the varieties that we get (from Greece, Italy and Spain) sound exactly like the one you've got.

I find that whether green or purple, they cook and taste the same.:mrgreen:

Ishbel said:
Kadesma
Some of the varieties that we get (from Greece, Italy and Spain) sound exactly like the one you've got.

I find that whether green or purple, they cook and taste the same.:mrgreen:
Thanks Ishbel,
I'm going to steam it today..I love that it has no prickly ends to it.. I was planning to put in several plants during bare root season this winter, I just might look into one of this type..

I don't recall ever cooking purple ones, they must be lovey to look at :) Did you know that artichokes belong to the same family as broccoli - which also comes in a pretty purple variety.

IC, yes I did know that..I've heard of but not seen the purple broccoli..I cooked the chokes this afternon..They stayed purple and are just wonderful, I must say they are a little bit on the sweet side, but the flavor is outstanding.

We call this plant 'Purple Sprouting Brocolli' and it is extremely popular in the UK as well as Italy and France.

I think it's much nicer to eat than the larger, seedy-headed brocolli - which can be overcooked so easily!

Ishbel said:
We call this plant 'Purple Sprouting Brocolli' and it is extremely popular in the UK as well as Italy and France.

I think it's much nicer to eat than the larger, seedy-headed brocolli - which can be overcooked so easily!
Hi Ishbel, I think I'll ask at my market and see if they can get it for me.. It I'd love to try it. I enjoy the broccolini musch more than the big seedy headed broccoli and the flavor is nicer as well. Thanks for the tip.

I think we may be talking about the same thing - broccolini may well be flowering broccoli! BUT, ours is a purple variety, although we can get the plain green.

Eating raw artichokes

There is a small - purple - variety of artichoke from Italy that you eat raw with salt.

I had it once, and was not impressed.

Has anyone else?

Best regards,
Alex R.

Ishbel said:
I think we may be talking about the same thing - broccolini may well be flowering broccoli! BUT, ours is a purple variety, although we can get the plain green.
We probably are Ishbel, this broccolini has slender stems and the flower heads are small, I cook them quickly so they are still crisp and then let them cool wrap procuitto around the stems and then drizzle with evoo and shave on some parmesan.. the purple would be beautiful this way:)
kadesma

alex,
no I've never had the Italian purple artichoke. Don't know that I'd care for them raw, But, who knows:)
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom