Purslane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
It grows like crazy around here, and most consider it a weed. I pulled a bunch, and remembered seeing recipes for it, mostly in salads, though it can also be cooked and used like spinach or in soups. I tasted some, it's really good! Farmers markets sell it. Anyone ever tried it?

There is a recipe of Armenian origin that includes purslane, yogurt and garlic as a cold dish. I used to love it as a kid but never see it anymore.

I have two tiny purslane plants growing between my patio stones. I plan to move them to where they can grow better. I haven't tried any recipes, but I tasted it last year and like it.

There is a recipe of Armenian origin that includes purslane, yogurt and garlic as a cold dish. I used to love it as a kid but never see it anymore.

This sounds good! Thanks, Andy, I have the ingredients! It would be kinda like tsatsiki?

It grows wild all over here around the gardens. I told DH about it, he is refusing to try it. So I guess it's all mine!

Ive been weeding it out for as long as I can remember. Until one day I went on a nature walk with someone who points out all the edible plants, mushrooms ... When he pointed to that and said it was edible, I thought back on all the fist fulls of it I had thrown out over the years. Now when i see it growing, I leave it alone. Only have used it in salads and occasionally pick on it as I'm out in the garden, never tried cooking with it though, so Im curious to see what recipes or suggestions pop up.

I have only eaten it in salads, as well. I reckon it would be good as a cooked green, although I 'spect it would cook down much like poke weed and therefore require a huge amount in order to have enough to go around.

Huh.. who knew... I keep trying to eradicate that from the garden.

I suppose now that I know it will stop growing. :) I suppose I can tell the people over at the garden that is edible then we can let it grow without getting a weed letter. Kathleen doesn't like weed letters.

No, I have never eaten it. I probably read from Euell Gibbons that it was edible and have carefully cultivated it in my gardens for at least 30 years, as an insurance crop, but to this day I have never eaten it:wacko::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom