Quick And Easy Fried Potatoes Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ol-blue

Sous Chef
My son saw this being prepared the other day on a cooking show on TV. I have not found the recipe yet so I went by my sons description on how he saw it made. The potatoes were served with a sour cream sauce, but I don't think you even need the sauce. If I could find the recipe I would like to try the sauce.
These are so simple to make and taste just as good fried in butter only.
Enjoy! Debbie

QUICK AND EASY FRIED POTATOES

img_542187_0_3410d63fc938cd12a3f6af4fb214fef2.jpg

img_542187_1_7f269e221db36c66e83c0d0bde48515e.jpg

BABY YUKON POTATOES; Or Baby Double-N-Creamers.
BACON; Cut Up, Into Bite Size Pieces.
ONION; Diced.
CHEDDAR CHEESE; Shredded.
PARMESAN CHEESE; Shredded.
BUTTER; Or Olive Oil.
SALT; To Taste.
BLACK PEPPER; To Taste.
_____

Boil potatoes in water until fork tender.
When potatoes are fork tender, drain and set aside.
With a clean kitchen towel and the palm of your hand or back of a large spatula, smash the hot potatoes to approximately 1/3 inch thick; set aside.
In a large skillet add bacon and onions, cook until onions are caramelized and bacon is crispy.
Remove bacon and onions from pan on to a paper towel.
Leave any bacon fat in pan.
Add enough butter or olive oil to pan to fry potatoes in.
Heat oil or butter over medium heat; place potatoes in pan.
Season potatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
When potatoes are browned on one side, flip potatoes and add more butter and oil if needed to skillet.
Sprinkle potatoes with cheese and bacon and onions.
Continue frying until cheese is melted and potatoes are browned.

mmmm.. That looks good. I like to just shred Yukon gold, press on them with a paper towel to get them dry. Spread in a thin layer on a lightly oiled very hot non stick pan. Fry until dark brown on one side, pepper and flip to fry other side. Turn only once. Really good with toppings or just ketchup.

Seems I seen something similar to this on 30 minute meals with Rachel Ray. I thought it was a great idea and it looks wonderful!!!

beginner chef, You are welcome.

Maverick2272, They were wonderful...Moist on the inside and a little crispy on the outside.

tdejarnette, I really like Yukon golds too.

sattie, It's a quick way to have potatoes. I asked my son where he saw it and it wasn't Rachel Ray. He said it was a male cook. It sounds like something Rachel Ray would do though.

I still haven't found anything on FoodNetwork.com that matches in my searches, but honestly I am just fine with Ol-Blue's recipe.. and we just bought some Yukon Gold's today:)

Edit: Although I would like to find the Sour Cream sauce and try it as well.

Last edited:
Maverick2272, My son said the sauce consists of sour cream, peppadew peppers, and some white wine. Just 3 ingredients.
He said it was like a cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup peppadew peppers, chopped and maybe 1/4 cup white wine. I'm sure this could be made to taste.

Uncle Bob, That sounds good. I always have leftover mashed potatoes. Thanks.

middie, Enjoy!

I know these pictures are of smooshed potatoes, ...

I've been known to make mashed potatoes just to have them on hand for potato cakes.

Yesterdays mashed potatoes, salt and pepper, pinch of cayenne, chives, whatever I feel like at the moment, beat in some flour to help the cakes hold together, make into patties, fry till done (for me it's a iron skillet with olive oil and butter, or just oil, or just butter ... ).

Left over baked potatoes get pretty much the same treatment. I peal them, dice the skins, cube the main part, smash them up with a bit of 1/2 & 1/2, then do as I did above.

Since I skipped breakfast, and have some baked potatoes in the fridge, .... topped with a over easy egg .... Excuse me.

I know these pictures are of smooshed potatoes, ...

I've been known to make mashed potatoes just to have them on hand for potato cakes.

Yesterdays mashed potatoes, salt and pepper, pinch of cayenne, chives, whatever I feel like at the moment, beat in some flour to help the cakes hold together, make into patties, fry till done (for me it's a iron skillet with olive oil and butter, or just oil, or just butter ... ).

Left over baked potatoes get pretty much the same treatment. I peal them, dice the skins, cube the main part, smash them up with a bit of 1/2 & 1/2, then do as I did above.

Since I skipped breakfast, and have some baked potatoes in the fridge, .... topped with a over easy egg .... Excuse me.

Sounds wonderful!!!!

Looks delicious Miss Debbie!! I've done something similar with left over mashed potatoes...The cheese topping is a nice idea! Thanks!!

What is this thing you called "leftover" mashed potatoes?
I have never seen such a creature in my fridge. :ermm::pig:

I'll eat anything containing potatoes AND cheese.
Thank you again Ol Blue

I just saw a version of this recipe that was finished in the oven instead of the skillet. After the potatoes were smashed they were diizzled with oil and put in a 450 degree oven, I like yours better and plan to cook it soon!

I just saw a version of this recipe that was finished in the oven instead of the skillet. After the potatoes were smashed they were diizzled with oil and put in a 450 degree oven, I like yours better and plan to cook it soon!

The oven method would be nice if you needed to make a lot. I prefer to use the skillet then heat up my oven.

Uh, now I have to talk the wife into letting me order some Peppadew, unless someone has an idea where I can get them locally in Chicago. I have to think they are around here somewhere, LOL.

Uh, now I have to talk the wife into letting me order some Peppadew, unless someone has an idea where I can get them locally in Chicago. I have to think they are around here somewhere, LOL.

They sell them in a jar in the delicatessen section of some supermarkets.

Substitution for Pepadews are red Anaheim chilies if that helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom