Radishes, what to do with a sudden unexpected bunch of them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Not a big fan of radishes, the typical red round variety.
I've eaten them shaved in salads, slaws and other ways, but they've always played a minor roll.

Now I have a bunch in the fridge, and not sure what to do with them.
Does anyone have a dish that features the radish?

Just curious

Pan roast them! A pat of butter, a splash of water (or a dry white wine), and quartered radishes. Cover for a couple of minutes, then stir them around to brown the other side. Yummy. If the greens are in good shape, you can toss them in to wilt them the last minute or two.

I also like them very thinly sliced and added to a thin slice of a baguette with good butter. A nice coarse salt sprinkled on top is a nice finish - or ground pepper or grains of paradise.

Love roasted radishes. I also add them to stir fry. Or pickle them. Or just eat them. I planted radishes on New Year's Eve for the greens (in a pot--with 3 ft. of snow and -20F, not exactly gardening weather here).

I made a moolangi (or mullangi?) sambar, using diced up daikon type radishes. Cooked, in a dish like this, radishes are delicious.

I like the greens sauteed a few minutes like beet greens. My favorite way to eat the root is pickled with carrots and jalapenos; served as a side with tacos.

I'd also go for pickled radish which is very popular in korean dishes and it goes really well with fried chicken and other heavy dishes.

I often get radishes since discovering that tomatoes are citric - I can't eat citric. Some of the ideas here are very appealing. I like it chopped up into coleslaw, also in sandwiches and added to soup.

Gillian

Back
Top Bottom