Ramps (Wild Leeks)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Found these at a farmers market yesterday. They grow in the spring in hardwood forests. I ate a few this morning in an omlette and they were very nice....

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 312
I remember reading the old Grimm fairy tales as a child, and there was occasional mention of ramps. I didn't know what they were.

They look like a great sub for green onions. Wonder if they grow around here.

They grow wild around here. I don't know what they look like except prepared. There is a place nearby that sells them "by the bunch" with the roots still on...keep meaning to go get some. The season is mid-April through May. They must grow wild in Quebec, TL.

They grow wild around here. I don't know what they look like except prepared. There is a place nearby that sells them "by the bunch" with the roots still on...keep meaning to go get some. The season is mid-April through May. They must grow wild in Quebec, TL.

I got mine up in Barry's Bay. As I said, on the North side of hardwood forests, is what the guy told me. All along I thought they grew in the spring in areas with fast moving run off, like ditches and creek banks, etc...

I have never seen them pickled!

We used then fresh in scrambled eggs.

I don't remember having them any other way.

Maybe a new north woods martini featuring the pickled ones! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Isn't there a tradition in Spain where they roast ramps on open fires and serve them with Romesco sauce, or is that some other onion?

We used to dig them up around my dad's Wisconsin cabin when he was still alive. Looks yours had been cleaned before you bought them, otherwise it can be a real challenge to get all the grit out of them (think leeks but on a much smaller scale).

My absolute favorite ramp dish is a cream soup with potatoes.

They're awesome in scrambled eggs, too. My dad's favorite thing was something he called "wild breakfast". He would make scrambled eggs with ramps and morel mushrooms he had picked, and then serve wild asparagus on the side.

Last edited:
Love, Love Love ramps. We used to saute them whole (minus the leaves) and then brown with potatoes. They are also seriously awesome on pizza but my favorite way to eat them was done up tempura style with a nice dipping sauce.

Back
Top Bottom