"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_Toast
Hello everyone,

I am trying to incorperate more veggies and leaf greens into my diet. I was wondering if anyone has any recipes for raw salades or something like that. I would like to make something portable so I can put it in a container for lunch.
Welcome to Discuss Cooking. I adore veggies & am a big salad fan. Re the leafy ingredients and transporting - I find lettuce etc gets limp. I would stick with crispy veggies added to a pasta salad. You can bring the dressing on the side, so the salad isn't soggy/wet, and add the dressing when you're ready to eat. Put the pasta sald in a zip lock. Use cherry tomatoes rather than sliced, raw veggies like broc, cauliflower, carrots, onions, celery, cucumbers, or sliced beets & chickpeas - add shredded cheese of choice, if you like. If you want a little more crunch, bring along a baggy of flavored croutons. Add ins could be cooked shredded chicken, etc. Try a classic Waldorf or Nicoise with tuna. Crisp sliced apples and walnuts are a yummy addition. Check out the veggie catagory and salads in this forum. The possibilities are endless. Happy salad eating.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:32 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

EH? did someone change my title? Can they do that? I feel violated. But for everyone else thanks for the ideas. I never knew it was so easy to make dressing at home. I also would like to know about veggies like squash and eggplant and weird ones like turnips. What can I do with those? SO I need to cook those?

Old 02-09-2007, 03:49 AM   #13
Head Chef

a nice, and lunch box, but necessarily colleague friendly, thig to do with aubergine/eggplant is to pick one with a fork and put it in the oven until it is very, very well cooked and floppy, then open in and peel out the flesh. Put this in a sause pan in which you have already cooked some tomatoes, lots of garlic, perhaps a little EVOO and cumin, combine it reasonably well. I like it just like that, a sort of a vegetable gloop, that is excellent with bread or eaten just alone. My DH prefers it if I chop a big bunch of coriander and make it more salady, and he takes it in a tupperware and fills some bread with it at work. Its best at room temperature.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

ok here is a small update on my progress. This week I made a salad with romaine, broccoli, carrots, goat cheese, those little tiny tomatoes, and some store baught itlian dressing. Not too bad. I think I will go with a spinach/romaine combo instead of broccoli next time. Also I want to look into those home mad dressing ideas. I want to know if I really need sugar in the dressing? I stop eating mounds of sugar when I turned 19 and now I try to avoid the stuff when I can. Yep sugar is over rated. Also no more goatt cheese. Cheese is over rated too.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:00 AM   #15
Head Chef

I had a great red cabbage salad last night....we were munching away on it happily and I think its the first time I have used raw red cabbage! Shocking, but it was delicious!

Tags
None