I like eggplant but sometimes you want to have it in a dish that is not loaded with tomatoe sauce, or that is Greek inspired. I went hunting and found this one for scalloped eggplant..don't know if I'd have thought of that, but it sure sounds delicious!
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut up
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup half-and-half or milk
- 1/2 cup coarse cracker crumbs, saltines
- 3/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack mixture
Cook eggplant in boiling water with the 1 teaspoon salt until tender. Drain and mash. Add butter, grated onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; blend well.
Whisk egg with milk; stir into the eggplant mixture.Stir in cracker crumbs and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Bake in a lightly buttered 1-quart casserole at 325° for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set in center.
Or, bake in 4 lightly buttered 6-ounce ramekins for individual servings. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and continue to bake until cheese is melted and browned.