Risotto Primavera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Here you go, buckytom! Norgeskog, this might be good for your daughter, too. And it would be a nice side dish for your big steak! ;)

Risotto Primavera

2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)--I use red
1 small carrot, cut into julienne strips
1 c uncooked Arborio or other short-grain white rice
2 cans (14 1/2 oz ea.) redy-to-serve vegetable broth, heated (I've used chicken broth)
1 c broccoli flowerets
1 c frozen green peas
1 small zucchini, cut into julienne strips
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan

Heat oil in 3-qt nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion and carrot in oil, stirring frequently until crisp-tender.

Stir in rice. Cook, stirring frequently, until rice begins to brown.

Pour 1/2 c of the hot broth over rice mixture. Cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed. Continue cooking 15-20 minutes, adding 1/2 c broth at a time and stirring frequently, until rice is almost tender and creamy. Add broccoli, peas, and zucchini with the last addition of broth. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.

*I've also added salt and black pepper to taste, a clove of minced garlic, or a little dried, crushed basil for a different flavor.

*Be sure to add the hot broth a half cup at a time and don't add more until the liquid has been absorbed. This will ensure a very creamy dish.

thanks pa baker. dw is on a risotto kick, so i'm gonna try to make this for her next week.

Bucky, here's another risotto recipe for you to make for your wife. I've made this before with regular mozzarella but think I'd like to try it with fresh the next time.

Risotto with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Mozzarella

5 ½ c vegetable stock
1/3 c oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
2 c Arborio rice
1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
1 c grated Parmesan cheese
¼ c chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a simmer. While the stock is heating, drain the sun-dried tomatoes and reserve the oil. Chop the tomatoes coarsely and set them aside.

In a large frying pan, warm 2 Tbsp of oil from the tomatoes, add onion and sauté until translucent, about 6 minutes.

Add rice to the saucepan and stir until white spots appear in the center of the center of the grains, about 1 minute. Spoon a ladleful of vegetable stock into the saucepan and cook the mixture on low until all the stock is absorbed., about 2 minutes. Continue adding the stock, a ladleful at a time, until the rice is tender and the mixture is creamy, about 20-25 minutes.

Add the mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, 2 Tbsp of the remaining oil from the tomatoes, chopped basil and salt and pepper. Mix well and serve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom