Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I may have to try this.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post

Just keeping it super simple
I hate You Tube demos where they talk more than when they cook. Just put the onions in the oven, take them out in about an hour, and eat. It is as if they can't chew gum and walk at the same time.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

4:47 to tell me to roast onions because roasted onions are tasty.

I agree with Addie, most youtube videos could be done more efficiently in half the time (or less) as you find yourself drumming your fingers on the counter waiting for the person to say something of importance.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I watched that video just a few days ago. I like the Townsend's YouTube channel on 18th century cooking. I've never cooked anything they have made on their videos, but that roasted onion looks like a good side for a prime steak. I'm pretty sure I am going to make that one.

Andy, that YouTube channel is as much for history buffs as it is for cooks. I kind of expect it to be long-winded, because there is a whole lot of history mixed in with the cooking.

I really like the episodes with Michael Twitty. He explains how so much of Southern cooking came to exist.

CD
Old 03-08-2019, 11:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
4:47 to tell me to roast onions because roasted onions are tasty.

I agree with Addie, most youtube videos could be done more efficiently in half the time (or less) as you find yourself drumming your fingers on the counter waiting for the person to say something of importance.
Place onion without peeling in oven. Roast for one hour. Cut bottom off, remove peelings, enjoy.

And I typed that in less than a minute. I don't care about the history. History is not going to fill my belly.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:41 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Place onion without peeling in oven. Roast for one hour. Cut bottom off, remove peelings, enjoy.

And I typed that in less than a minute. I don't care about the history. History is not going to fill my belly.
Well, that's a topic upon which we disagree. History doesn't fill my belly, either. It fills my head. If I can fill my belly and my head at the same time, I'd call that a good day.

CD
Old 03-08-2019, 11:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

casey, I'm with you on the fill belly-fill head view of life. I'm often reading something online or a book (often of the cooking genre) while eating. Beats sitting in the living room with Himself watching something that doesn't interest me on the idiot box.

Quote:
I hate You Tube demos where they talk more than when they cook...
James Towsend never set out to teach cooking, therefore his are not cooking videos. Originally, he set up a business to provide access to colonial era clothing, cookwear, and accouterments for "the living history community, historic sites, museums, theatrical productions, motion pictures, and television production companies". Cooking in the colonial style became a side passion for him and he only looked to share his interest with those who thought similarly. Feel free to pass his videos by.

Quote:
...I don't care about the history. History is not going to fill my belly.
And yet you've posted on and on about the history of Boston. Perhaps you don't enjoy Towsend because he isn't Boston-centric?
Old 03-09-2019, 12:23 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
casey, I'm with you on the fill belly-fill head view of life. I'm often reading something online or a book (often of the cooking genre) while eating. Beats sitting in the living room with Himself watching something that doesn't interest me on the idiot box.

James Towsend never set out to teach cooking, therefore his are not cooking videos. Originally, he set up a business to provide access to colonial era clothing, cookwear, and accouterments for "the living history community, historic sites, museums, theatrical productions, motion pictures, and television production companies". Cooking in the colonial style became a side passion for him and he only looked to share his interest with those who thought similarly. Feel free to pass his videos by.
And yet you've posted on and on about the history of Boston. Perhaps you don't enjoy Towsend because he isn't Boston-centric?
The history of Boston came as a student in the Boston schools. I am older now and have many other interests in my life. Like being able to feed myself, and stand at the stove again some day. I don't need a ten minute lecture on the history of colonial cooking. I have been to Sturbridge on more than one occasion.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:53 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I enjoyed the history part of that video.

Tags
onion, recipe, roast

Roasted Onion Recipe... [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9spqCzSkQ[/url] Just keeping it super simple:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews