Roasted seasoned potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
Big party Saturday night(see the pork section for the protein).
We cut 30lbs of red potatoes into chunks, placed them into Electric roasters, 15 lbs in each. Into each we dumped 3 packets of Lipton onion soup mix, sprinkled in seasoned salt and Italian seasoning, olive oil and water. Stirred it all up and roasted them at 375 in the roasters for about 3 hours. First time we tried this, it won't be the last. They were fantastic tasting.

We fed around 70 people. Yes we had some left over but we were affraid 20lbs wouldn't have been enough, it would have been.

I mix two envelops of onion soup mix -- one would do, I like two -- with about two tablespoons of oil in a 9 x 13 inch. I coat a couple of chicken breasts with skin and bones and four thighs, then add two potatoes cut into chunks. I then bake for an hour or so at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and the flavor of both the chicken and potatoes is outstanding.

I love Italian Salad Dressing mix. I love mixes that give a specific flavor every time.

I like your idea of adding it to oil so it's easy to spread.

Like Bay Seasoning, it adds a totally different flavor that makes 'em go wild.

I use Lipton Savory Herb and Garlic mix on mine. My MIL used to make it with onion soup but my guys like the herb and garlic better. I"ll have to try the Italian dressing mix. That sounds good too!

I use Lipton Savory Herb and Garlic mix on mine. My MIL used to make it with onion soup but my guys like the herb and garlic better. I"ll have to try the Italian dressing mix. That sounds good too!

Jabbur, Italian salad dressing mix is one of my favorite secret ingredients. Try it as the seasoning for potato salad. Never any leftovers.

Couldn't you just use bottled Italian dressing??

Bottled has vinegar in it. You can use it, and it actually would be cheaper, but try the mix of spices in something. You'll appreciate the lovely bunch of spices. It makes a good secret ingredient no one can figure out.

Last edited:
I give my potato wedges about 4 minutes on high in the microwave first, in a glass bowl wrapped in plastic. Then I use salt, white pepper and rosemary. I add the olive oil to a cookie sheet and place it in the oven without the potatoes for a couple of minutes, then take it out and add the nuked spuds. This helps shock the potatoes and creates a nice crisp skin and also prevents them from sticking to the pan. My daughter says she enjoys them more than any french fry, so coming from a teenager that is a good endorsement.:LOL:

I give my potato wedges about 4 minutes on high in the microwave first, in a glass bowl wrapped in plastic. Then I use salt, white pepper and rosemary. I add the olive oil to a cookie sheet and place it in the oven without the potatoes for a couple of minutes, then take it out and add the nuked spuds. This helps shock the potatoes and creates a nice crisp skin and also prevents them from sticking to the pan. My daughter says she enjoys them more than any french fry, so coming from a teenager that is a good endorsement.:LOL:

That really is an endorsement! I want my fries XXCrispy too. If it is a regular fry, I should be able to snap it in half.
I'll try your way. If your daughter thinks it is really crispy, that's good enough for me.

Copied, pasted and printed. Thanks for the recipe.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Last edited:
That really is an endorsement! I want my fries XXCrispy too. If it is a regular fry, I should be able to snap it in half.
I'll try your way. If your daughter thinks it is really crispy, that's good enough for me.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Just leave it in until they reach the crispy ness you desire. The microwaving really changes the texture somehow and they turn out much different from putting them in the oven raw.

Back
Top Bottom