"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

When you can bake a whole potato in an hour, it should be easy to believe you can roast cut up potatoes in an hour or less.

Toss cut up potatoes with a variety of seasonings and roast. In a pinch, a packet of Lipton's onion soup and dip mix does a good job of flavoring roasted potatoes.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
so I was reading an old issue of cooks illustrated tonight and it had information about making perfect roasted potatoes and actually they do recommend parboil... I'll explain more tomorrow..I'm far to tired to pull the information back out

Old 02-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
My oven tends to cook a bit fast, so I have to use lower temps for cooking meat to avoid drying them out (and even then the cooking time is on the short side of the range). As such, if I cook potatoes with meat they won't be done by the time the meat is done....UNLESS I parboil first. So I always do.

I think it may depend on the oven, as well as what dish you're using (metal, glass, etc) whether or not boiling first is necessary. Where I am living and with the oven I have, it absolutely is.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #14
Executive Chef

The Micheal Caine method, "not a lot of people know this", parboil the spuds, cool, roughen, dip the spuds in cold Evoo, take out, place on the metal tray you use to roast then leave in the coldest part of your fridge, repeat the dipping after about 8hrs so you get a good Evoo coating on the spud, leave in the fridge for another 16 hrs, then roast cold from the fridge in a very hot oven to start.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:34 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
The Micheal Caine method, "not a lot of people know this", parboil the spuds, cool, roughen, dip the spuds in cold Evoo, take out, place on the metal tray you use to roast then leave in the coldest part of your fridge, repeat the dipping after about 8hrs so you get a good Evoo coating on the spud, leave in the fridge for another 16 hrs, then roast cold from the fridge in a very hot oven to start.
Pardon my ignorance but....Evoo?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
Pardon my ignorance but....Evoo?
Extra virgin olive oil. It's even been added to the dictionary and was coined by Food Network star Rachel Ray.

BTW, it is pronounced E V O O. I'll bet you thought e-voo!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Extra virgin olive oil. It's even been added to the dictionary and was coined by Food Network star Rachel Ray.

BTW, it is pronounced E V O O. I'll bet you thought e-voo!
Indeed I did!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
Indeed I did!
Personally, I hope e-voo catches on.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Personally, I hope e-voo catches on.
Sounds better then the current version..anytime I hear someone actually say the current out loud I have to walk away.

Ok, basically parcooking will remove some of the surface starch which will aid in a crispy exterior on the spud..the trick is to not cook them to far so they become soft and you are unable to toss them in oil/herbs. This also cuts down the roasting time...I know most of the time I roast potatoes it takes roughly 45 minutes to an hour and usually they don't cook evenly.

"The big breakthrough came courtesy of our science editor, who observed that the parcooking step was doing more than just jump starting the surface starch. It was also speeding up the evaporation process by creating a rough surface. A rougher surface, he explained, offers more escape routes for moisture than the flat surface of a raw potao and the damaged exterior cells surrender their moisture more readily than intact cells."

It also talks about that the parcooking time is really low..you bring the water to a boil and then drop it to a simmer and only cook for roughly 5 minutes. Enough to start to cook them, to roughen up the surface and wash the right amount of starch away before tossing in your oil and then adding to a preheated baking pan.

So with this new information
my verdict is this...(granted it is now sunday so the information is no longer of use for the current post)
If I was going to prep these for later use, I would cut them, stash them in the salted cooking water. pull them out, and then finish.
btw, with this method..and the recipe your roast time is only 10-20 minutes.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Another thing I find useful is having a good spatula to scrape the potatos from the bottom of the pan/sheet, so you get all of the skin and leave nothing stuck to the bottom.

For the last few years I have been using a stainless steel paint scraper. I have a couple I bought exclusively for scraping food off of pans and cookie sheets, or when I cook some stuff in my cast iron pans. They are very thin and sharp and really do the job well. You need to splurge and get a good one because the cheaper ones will rust.

Tags
potatoes