Roasting potatoes question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another thing I find useful is having a good spatula to scrape the potatos from the bottom of the pan/sheet, so you get all of the skin and leave nothing stuck to the bottom.

For the last few years I have been using a stainless steel paint scraper. I have a couple I bought exclusively for scraping food off of pans and cookie sheets, or when I cook some stuff in my cast iron pans. They are very thin and sharp and really do the job well. You need to splurge and get a good one because the cheaper ones will rust.

they shouldn't be sticking to the pan.
I've never had that issue.

For the last few years I have been using a stainless steel paint scraper. I have a couple I bought exclusively for scraping food off of pans and cookie sheets, or when I cook some stuff in my cast iron pans. They are very thin and sharp and really do the job well. You need to splurge and get a good one because the cheaper ones will rust.

What a great idea Rock!! I'm definitely going to get one. :)

Ok the verdict - potatoes were lovely, cooked in 45 mins, but certainly not as crispy as I would usually have with the par boiling and banging round first. In this side of the world (Ireland ;)), all our tv chefs (inlcuding the English channels with the likes of Jamie Oliver, Nigella etc) par boil first, and yes of course they all use goose fat as well.

Jamie suggests par boiling for 10 mins but then adds that he reckons the best roasties come for over par boiling; Gary Rhodes goes as far as frying the parboiled potatoes before putting them into the oil in the oven - this is a step too far for me. :LOL:

As it will only be my own darling family next weekend I'm going to experiment with the parboiling earlier on and then roasting them a couple of hours later just to see how it goes.

Now my only problem is what to do with the left over desserts :) anybody for chocolate biscuit cake and black forest gateaux??????? I'll put the kettle on. :chef:

77 I'm a scouser and as Liverpool is the second capital of Ireland the scouse roast pots are as follows Saturday night find a spud field and liberate a few, Sunday morning peel the peelers, parboil and cool, heat sunflower oil in a wok and deep fry the tats drain on kitchen towel, you will get big fat crispy chippy faux roast pots.
Ps I have been known to travel for a good cake scran.
PPS not German cakes though, they bombed our chippy

Last edited:
On a final note, boiled potatoes for usual 10 mins this morning, once they had cooled popped them into fridge. Heated oil in roasting dish round 5 then potatoes went in and were ready in 35 mins. Turned out perfect, was very pleased.

So either way I'm happy with my roasties :chef:

Ok the verdict - potatoes were lovely, cooked in 45 mins, but certainly not as crispy as I would usually have with the par boiling and banging round first. In this side of the world (Ireland ;)), all our tv chefs (inlcuding the English channels with the likes of Jamie Oliver, Nigella etc) par boil first, and yes of course they all use goose fat as well.

Yeah, when I was living in Germany, a Brit taught me the proper way to make "tatties" and the parboiling was necessary. There was just no way to quite get the same texture by just roasting. As an American, I do like the straight roasting method,too, but the end result is entirely different. Just depends on what the main dish is and what kind of potatoes I'm using whether I peel and parboil or just clean, slice and roast.

Glad everything turned out well for you.

Lucky you. It's never been a serious issue with me either, but occasionally you get a couple of stubborn ones that won't let go. Bring in the scraper.

The ones that stick, my family always says those are mine. I am not sure where that came from, but if they stick, I guess they are for Mom!:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom