"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-19-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Roasting veggies

Which are the best veggies to roast, and why? I want to start roasting more vegetables instead of blanching or steaming. Suggestions?

Old 10-19-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I like to take cherry tomatoes, corn and zucchini mix them all up with a little
olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder and throw them all in the oven. When I take them out I put them in a bowl and add a small amount of butter.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Mmmm...sounds great, thanks. But what temperature and for how long?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Talking

350 degrees.

and I think I do it for about 20-25 minutes. Can be less or more depending on how "mushy" you like your veggies. I like them crisp. Paul likes them very very very soft.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I love roasting root veggies. Lately I have been using sweet potatoes, celery roots, and parsnips. I toss with olive oil and salt and pepper and thyme then roast at 400-450 stirring every 20 minutes until done to my liking.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
bell peppers are wonderful roasted... either on bbq, or in the oven (180C/350F, takes about 40 minutes, turning over once)... peel off the outer skin which most of it is probably burnt black, tear them into several strips, enjoy with a drizzle of good evoo, some pine nuts and caper.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:18 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I like to roast asparagus, brussel sprouts, onions, eggplant,

beets, and cauliflower. I do them all at a high temperature,
about 450, and just toss them with olive oil and salt and pepper. The asparagus takes about 10 minutes, the brussel sprouts, cauliflower, onions and cut up eggplant about 30 to 45, and the whole beets and whole eggplant for about 1 hour.
I check the beets for doneness just like I would a potato.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Oh I forgot the most important part of my roasted veggies...GARLIC. Peel as many cloves as you like (the more the better as far as I am concerned) and throw those in too
Old 10-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #9
Master Chef

I also roast at higher heat 425-450 with evoo, s and p and garlic/rosemary/thyme, etc.

It depends on what I feel like or have on hand. Usually FALL veggies like potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, beets, turnips, carrots. Cauliflower is good, too.

IMO these hardier veggies stand up to roasting better than more delicate ones or ones with more water content.

Here's something that people seem to like when I make it for T-giving. I wont give amounts, as you can adjust that to your liking.

Yams or Sweet Potatoes
An apple (any non-mealy variety) for every 2 sweet potatoes
evoo
Dijon mustard
Maple syrup (grade b is best)
Soy sauce
salt and pepper

Peel sweet potatoes and apples and cut into bite-sized chunks. Toss with a little evoo, sprinkle with pepper and just a wee bit of salt. Put in baking dish or roasting pan. Roast at 450 for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine mustard, syrup and soy sauce. Ratio is maybe 2T mustard -- 1T syrup -- 1/2T soy sauce. I just made this up, so increase or decrease to your taste. You should have enough sauce to evenly coat the veggies -- you don't want to drench them.

After 15 min., check veggies. They should be just short of done. Stir them up to prevent sticking, then drizzle on the sauce and stir to coat. Put back in oven and cook until done. You don't sauce them at the beginning because you risk the sugar burning at 450.

You can also add herbs like sage or rosemary to the mix.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:45 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Since I do mine at a lower heat.. would it be baking instead of roasting??

Tags
None