Roman beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
I went to safeway looking for fava beans, strangely enuf they did not have them but I found something called Roman beans that looked the same color but I was not sure. I found fava beans at another store.

Are roman beans the same thing? can you substitue one for the other? I was trying to make fava bean toast, a recipe of Batali's.

cranberry bean = borlotti bean = saluggia = shell bean = salugia bean = crab eye bean = rosecoco bean = Roman bean = fagiolo romano Notes: These have an excellent, nutty flavor, and are commonly used in Italian soups and stews. Substitutes: fresh cranberry bean OR tongues of fire beans (very similar) OR cannellini bean OR Great Northern bean OR pinto bean OR chili bean

cranberrybeans.jpg

BTW, decorating divas - these types of beans make an interesting presentation in a hurricane glass holder in which you place a candle. Coffee beans also look very nice with a white candle.

Have been experimenting with the Roman beans. Make them w/ Sage it gives them a zesty taste, sage is sort of like oregano. Also found that tartness of tomato sauce really adds to the taste, although you can make them w/o tomato sauce:

3 8 oz. cans of Roman/Borlotti beans
2 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce
garlic, a good bit
sage, chopped up perhaps 2 TB.
S/P
olive oil or crisco

sautee' the beans in the oil a little bit, then add chopped garlic/sage and the sauce. You should heat them over low heat for 15 or 20 min. then serve.

clive, have you tried the shrimp and white beans salad, of which we once spoke? i had it again the other day, and it is fantastic. the earthy slightly-nutty flavor of the beans goes so well, like a canvas for the sweetness of the shrimp, dressed simply in good olive oil. i need to bug the chef for the exact recipe, just in case there's a secret ingredient. well, secret to me, anyway.

i've heard of navy, black, pinto, red, kidney, fava, string, great northern, and human beans :rolleyes: , but never roman. thanks for the info.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
clive, have you tried the shrimp and white beans salad, of which we once spoke? i had it again the other day, and it is fantastic. the earthy slightly-nutty flavor of the beans goes so well, like a canvas for the sweetness of the shrimp, dressed simply in good olive oil. i need to bug the chef for the exact recipe, just in case there's a secret ingredient. well, secret to me, anyway.

i've heard of navy, black, pinto, red, kidney, fava, string, great northern, and humans beans :rolleyes: , but never roman. thanks for the info.

No - haven't been able to give it a try, Buckytom, but I'm off to the beach for 15 days next Saturday - just the right place for fresh shrimp, fresh beans, and a glass of champers!!

One caveat - if you plan on using any of these beans for decorating purposes, make sure you use the DRY FORMS ONLY. The fresh ones from the produce section will just mold & rot.

Back
Top Bottom