"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I don't mean to be a big baby, but it just hurts my arms to peel potatoes. It really aggravates me...I used to be so strong, but now I can't even pick up a milk jug without using both hands.
Peeling potatoes...that's what husbands are for. Get Kim to do it for you.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...I've been baking the whole potatoes, rubbing the peeling off, and then mashing. ...Have any of you ever done it that way, and do you have any hints?

That works well too. The moisture content will be lower with baking them. Other than that, no difference.

I like sour cream in my potatoes.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #13
Head Chef

I think russets are the absolute best for mashed potatoes, and second what everyone else has said. NO MIXER - that's what makes them gluey. And like Katie said, put them back on the stove and shake them for a few minutes after you've drained them to get them good and dry. Having said that, there are NO russet potatoes in Mexico. I found them once at a supermarket, and when I brought them to the cashier, she didn't know what they were. "Papas" I said. "No!" she said, "no papas!" She called in a consultant from the next register who confimed that they were papas. The potatoes we get here are very very good - thin-skinned, and a little like Yukon Golds, but not yellow-fleshed. But they don't bake at all well, and don't make great mashed potatoes.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I like my mashed potatoes creamy... If that's the same thing as gluey, then sign me up!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
I like my mashed potatoes creamy... If that's the same thing as gluey, then sign me up!
Mashed potatoes can be creamy without being gluey. Heaven in a bowl!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
It isn't...think more wallpaper paste.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:12 PM   #17
Master Chef

I used Russetts all my life until our stores started to carry Yukon Golds.

Just cube the Russetts with the peels on - boil - mash. If anyone says anything about the peels in the 'taters tell them it is a French recipe: purée de pommes de terre rustique (or something like that) -or- it's better for you because of the vitimans in the skins and the very thin layer between the flesh and skin that would get thrown away if you peeled them (actually, that is true).

If you want to use an electric mixer you will have to use it very judiciously and on a low speed - just enough to break-up the spuds - and finish mixing in your butter and cream by hand. If you want to use the mixer all the way - you will need to add a little more milk/cream and you will end up with whipped/creamed potatoes ... a wetter and softer texture than a good "mash".
Old 11-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My mom always used a mixer to mash her potatoes (russetts) and always ended up with fluffy ones. She didn't turn it to high speed though, so I'm sure that was the difference. I haven't used a mixer to make mine in awhile, but when I do, I get the same results she got.

Barbara
P.S. Michael, I didn't notice you had mentioned using a mixer until now, but I see you said the same thing. :)
Old 11-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
I don't mean to be a big baby, but it just hurts my arms to peel potatoes. It really aggravates me...I used to be so strong, but now I can't even pick up a milk jug without using both hands.
You've already stated the answer to your problem. Bake them, without foil. When they are done, simply cut them in half and scoop out the potato meat with a spoon. They will accept the butter and milk you add as the potato will be drier, and there is absolutely no chance of over boiling them to mush. Also, for a richer potato flavor, use evaporated milk and brown butter. Roasted garlic mashed into them is great too.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #20
DC Grandma

when I use to make mashed potatoes ...I also warmed the milk.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None