Russets for mashed potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I prefer red or golden potatoes for mashed, but DH brought home 10 lbs Russets. I've had trouble with Russets being kind of gluey. Could I get some advice? I like them lite and fluffy!
We do have one more shopping trip before Thanksgiving.

Always use russets for mashed potatoes. Never found them to be gluey. After I cook them, I drain them and then put them back into the pot to dry out well. Never had a gluey problem and they always turned out nice and fluffy.

I use Idahos or russets for everything. I'm not sure what you mean by gluey. I guess that's what I'm used to. I have noticed that my sister uses a mixer and I use a hand masher and I think mine come out fluffier. I boil, drain, let sit short while, and add milk and butter.

Russets can get gluey if you use an electric mixer to make whipped potatoes. Over whipping can make the starch in the potato gummy, stringy and altogether less appetizing.

If you just use a potato masher or ricer, russets will give you a nice fluffy mashed potato.

Me neither, but I remember a profound difference between when my mother used to make them using a hand masher, and my sister using a hand mixer. You could spackle walls with my sister's mashed potatoes.

You guys are so smart. I really appreciate your prompt advice, and I will use my old fashioned potato masher and not the electric mixer.

Lately, rather than peeling, cubing and boiling the potatoes the way I used to do, I've been baking the whole potatoes, rubbing the peeling off, and then mashing. The (@$%&#) arthritis has hit my shoulders, elbows and hands, and this method is less painful. (Actually, Kim does the mashing.)

Have any of you ever done it that way, and do you have any hints?

Yes, Connie, that works. You might also try peeling the potatoes, putting them in a large microwave-safe bowl, covering them, and cooking until done. They'll produce a little water that can be drained. Allow the potatoes to dry a little, then mash as usual. I've done that when I've had my stove occupied to capacity.

I don't mean to be a big baby, but it just hurts my arms to peel potatoes. It really aggravates me...I used to be so strong, but now I can't even pick up a milk jug without using both hands. :(

...I've been baking the whole potatoes, rubbing the peeling off, and then mashing. ...Have any of you ever done it that way, and do you have any hints?

That works well too. The moisture content will be lower with baking them. Other than that, no difference.

I like sour cream in my potatoes.

I think russets are the absolute best for mashed potatoes, and second what everyone else has said. NO MIXER - that's what makes them gluey. And like Katie said, put them back on the stove and shake them for a few minutes after you've drained them to get them good and dry. Having said that, there are NO russet potatoes in Mexico. I found them once at a supermarket, and when I brought them to the cashier, she didn't know what they were. "Papas" I said. "No!" she said, "no papas!" She called in a consultant from the next register who confimed that they were papas. The potatoes we get here are very very good - thin-skinned, and a little like Yukon Golds, but not yellow-fleshed. But they don't bake at all well, and don't make great mashed potatoes.

I used Russetts all my life until our stores started to carry Yukon Golds.

Just cube the Russetts with the peels on - boil - mash. If anyone says anything about the peels in the 'taters tell them it is a French recipe: purée de pommes de terre rustique (or something like that) -or- it's better for you because of the vitimans in the skins and the very thin layer between the flesh and skin that would get thrown away if you peeled them (actually, that is true). :LOL:

If you want to use an electric mixer you will have to use it very judiciously and on a low speed - just enough to break-up the spuds - and finish mixing in your butter and cream by hand. If you want to use the mixer all the way - you will need to add a little more milk/cream and you will end up with whipped/creamed potatoes ... a wetter and softer texture than a good "mash".

Last edited:
My mom always used a mixer to mash her potatoes (russetts) and always ended up with fluffy ones. She didn't turn it to high speed though, so I'm sure that was the difference. I haven't used a mixer to make mine in awhile, but when I do, I get the same results she got.

:)Barbara
P.S. Michael, I didn't notice you had mentioned using a mixer until now, but I see you said the same thing. :)

I don't mean to be a big baby, but it just hurts my arms to peel potatoes. It really aggravates me...I used to be so strong, but now I can't even pick up a milk jug without using both hands. :(

You've already stated the answer to your problem. Bake them, without foil. When they are done, simply cut them in half and scoop out the potato meat with a spoon. They will accept the butter and milk you add as the potato will be drier, and there is absolutely no chance of over boiling them to mush. Also, for a richer potato flavor, use evaporated milk and brown butter. Roasted garlic mashed into them is great too.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom