Salt-cooked potatoes, trying them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmandaN80

Cook
I saw someone posted about these in a 'what can I do with salt' post. I decided to give them a try. I bought some new yellow potatoes and some sea salt made by Mortons. In addition to the sea salt I added about a handful of pink sea salt. The salt I see thats caking on the upper part of the pan and the bubbles are actually pink. I will be amused if they turn out with a pink salt crust. I wanted to say thanks to whoever posted the info about these! I cant wait to try them :)

Salt Potatoes

I was introduced to salt potates about 30 years ago in upstate New York. I many areas there, you can actually buy a prepackaged bag containing about 3 lbs of small potates and about a pound of salt. Since then I've served them at parties with great success. They are also a big concession item at the New York State Fair in Syracuse. I take them a step farther by reducing the salt in boiling, and after they are cooked, transferring them to a pot or pan in which you have combined about an equal mixture of melted butter and soy sauce.Outrageously good! ( P.S. You can also just serve the soy/butter in a separate small bowl for dipping!)

I saw that about them being sold with the salt in NY. I think out of other websites reviews, only one person has not enjoyed them.
If I like them(and I love most potatoes dishes) I plan on making them for a huge BBQ well be having in late june. I told my mom about them today and she wants to try them now too lol
Thanks for your advice and information about them!

You both have good taste Carnarios or Papas Arrugadas served with Mojo Picon is a favorite nibble whilst waiting for the BBQ.
I am so crazy that if you check out the recent thread on San Marzano Tomatoes I explain how I am trying to recreate the soil to grow the pots for this dish.:)

I missed the original discussion/recipe. Can s/one pretty please point me to it? I am somewhat challenged when it comes to searching the forum for posts...

This is the recipe I usePapas Arrugadas Recipe - DiscoverLanzarote.com
There is a state owned museum of local history, near the roundabout by the monument de campesinos, it has a restaurant that only serves traditional Lanzarote food. They do suckling pig roast in salt.:)

The picture with the link says it all!

These are always on the menu when we have Bakers Cornell grilled chicken and a bottle or two of beer.

Did I mention the beer:LOL:

I ended up cooking in smaller batches so I had about 6-9 small yellow potatoes and put in about a 1/4c of sea salt. I used Morton brand. Then scrubbed the potatoes and put them in the cold water(about 8 cups maybe) and poured the salt in and put it on high heat for about 45 mins
:-D They were better room temp/chilly to me and the kids

Back
Top Bottom