"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
Master Chef

Looks really good!

But you should never heat a glass casserole pan on your oven burner!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Pretty HOT!!! - 300 oC is 572 oF

Was that .1 pound or 1 pound of meat?
Bill mate a lot of this type of food was cooked in an outside wood fired oven after the bread had been made. I made it with lamb chunks but did not precook them the finish was brown but the meat was a bit tough.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Bill mate a lot of this type of food was cooked in an outside wood fired oven after the bread had been made. I made it with lamb chunks but did not precook them the finish was brown but the meat was a bit tough.
I understand about outside wood fueled ovens and have visited several towns that had a communal or town oven. However 572 F seems an awfully high temp for pyrex bakeware.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
I understand about outside wood fueled ovens and have visited several towns that had a communal or town oven. However 572 F seems an awfully high temp for pyrex bakeware.
I don't always use a pyrex. Sometimes I use a tefal (non-stick) pan. But the temperature from 250-300 oC is o.k. with the pyrex. I actually have an electric oven that I usually use. Its max. temp. is 300 oC and I always use the max. temp.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.mom View Post
I don't always use a pyrex. Sometimes I use a tefal (non-stick) pan. But the temperature from 250-300 oC is o.k. with the pyrex. I actually have an electric oven that I usually use. Its max. temp. is 300 oC and I always use the max. temp.
Several bad things happening here.

300C = 570F

Home stoves in the US don't generally get that hot.

It's not safe to use a pyrex dish like that in the picture on a stovetop

It's also not safe to put a non-stick pan into a 570 degree oven

And I suspect a lot of the food in the pan would burn if it were cooked at 570 degrees for 45 min.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Jenny I live in the UK, I bought my gas bompani range in Italy just because the max heat was 550f on the dial, when it is throbbing I tested it with a oven therm it reached 595f. I use max heat for a lot of things like Nan Bread non stick , Tandoori Chicken non stick and Sheperds Pie in a pyrex. I read on here about exploding pyrex and checked it out in the UK it appears to be a bit of an urban myth.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #17
Master Chef

Exploding Pyrex is hardly an urban myth, sorry. No one should put a Pyrex baking dish on the stove burners.

And similarly most nonstick surfaces are safe only up to 450 or 500.

Believe me, I'm a fan of high heat ( translate -- in the US that's 450) cooking when the technique makes sense for what you are making. I often advocate it here. That said, while I think the recipe at hand looks delicious, I see little reason to cook it at 600 degrees, given the ingredients.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Exploding Pyrex is hardly an urban myth, sorry. No one should put a Pyrex baking dish on the stove burners.

And similarly most nonstick surfaces are safe only up to 450 or 500.

Believe me, I'm a fan of high heat ( translate -- in the US that's 450) cooking when the technique makes sense for what you are making. I often advocate it here. That said, while I think the recipe at hand looks delicious, I see little reason to cook it at 600 degrees, given the ingredients.
We have pyrex glass stove top to oven frying pans over here, and acording to "Which" a UK independant consumer body said "oh yes it is", maybe we have different pyrex to you. If I want to cook more pizza than fit on my pizza stone I use those non stick pizza pans with holes in. The very ethos of this type of cuisine originates from the use of intense heat from a wood fired oven.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
Head Chef

Everything can't be "Americanized" and this recipe and cooking method seems to be one of them. =)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
Master Chef

Pyrex is fine in the oven. That's what it's for. It's not safe over direct heat on a stovetop. It can explode in your face. That's why it has a warning stamped into the glass.

Nonstick coatings have various ratings and some (esp old stuff) begin to give off fumes at only 300 degrees. Others have higher ratings. A pizza pan is no doubt rated for higher heat than a Tfal skillet, which Tfal says is safe up to 350.

And yes, there is an "ethos" regarding the use of 600 degree ovens but that certainly doesn't mean it's necessary, especially given the ingredients and technique for this particular recipe.

Tags
potatoes, recipe

Sanet Batates I promised yesterday that I will post the recipe of Sanet Batates (potatoes in the oven). It is a very popular dinner in Egypt usually served with rice. [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/36268-albums324-picture2628.jpg[/IMG] Ingredients: [LIST] [*]1 pound boneless veal cut into chunks, half boiled [*]6 potatoes, washed, peeled, sliced into 1 inch circles [*]1 onion, sliced [*]3 cloves garlic, minced [*]1 tomato, sliced [*]1 green pepper sliced [*]3 tablespoons tomato paste [*]1 tablespoons vegetable oil [*]1 teaspoon minced hail [*]1 teaspoon cumin [*]salt and pepper to taste [*]1 cup hot water [/LIST] Preparation: [LIST] [*]add all the veggies in an oven pan with the meat [*]add in the tomato paste, oil, hail, cumin, salt and pepper [*]pour in the hot water [*]place the pan on the stove on high until boiling [*]then place the pan in the oven at 300 oC for 45 min. or until the potatoes are red and tender [*]enjoy [/LIST] [B][FONT="] [/FONT][/B] 3 stars 1 reviews