"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Following is from-
Buy Pyrex Rectangular Dish, 1.5L, 35 x 23cm online at JohnLewis.com - John Lewis

Tough, versatile Pyrex glassware rectangular dish. Microwave safe, freezer safe, dishwasher safe & oven safe to 300C.
10 year guarantee.

Brand Pyrex
Cookware Material Glass

Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

the dish looks really good. not to sure why it would be served over rice. aren't the potatoes enough starch in one meal? it will work at the highest setting on american oven. lets not beat a dead horse.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:35 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Following is from-
Buy Pyrex Rectangular Dish, 1.5L, 35 x 23cm online at JohnLewis.com - John Lewis

Tough, versatile Pyrex glassware rectangular dish. Microwave safe, freezer safe, dishwasher safe & oven safe to 300C.
10 year guarantee.

Brand Pyrex
Cookware Material Glass
Bill mate how come you know about John Lewis?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:26 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Bill mate how come you know about John Lewis?
I spend too much time on the internet.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #25
Head Chef

^^ Thank you.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
the dish looks really good. not to sure why it would be served over rice. aren't the potatoes enough starch in one meal? it will work at the highest setting on american oven. lets not beat a dead horse.
I'm not beating a dead horse. Just trying to explain that the recipe asceritten is very dangerous. Pyrex can explode in your face on a burner.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I'm not beating a dead horse. Just trying to explain that the recipe as written is very dangerous. Pyrex can explode in your face on a burner.
Also suggesting that even though you could, as you point out, execute the recipe at 500, you might have tastier results at lower heat.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #28
Head Chef

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #29
Senior Cook

I read all the comments about this recipe. Well, I'd like to point out some points. This recipe needs only a high temperature in the oven but not that extremely high temperature as you all said. But when I pointed out that it needs to be cooked at 300oC, this is a high temperature for my oven, but it is the (usual high) not that extremely high. I know that temperature is temperature, even when you convert it from oC to oF. But what I want to say is that the highest temperature in my electric oven is 300oC (made in Turkey), and I also have a stove with a gas oven who's highest temperature is 280oC (made in Italy).
So these high temperature in the ovens is very common in our houses here. May be the temperature do not really reach this high, I never checked. But this is the temperature that you need to bake a potato or cook a lasagna. It is high but not extremely high.
And I am also going to check on the internet about this variation in temperature between countries.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I bake lasagna and most stuff at 350F (175C), including baked potatoes and they come out fine.

Many of my Danish recipes call for baking at 200C (~400F).

Tags
potatoes, recipe

Sanet Batates I promised yesterday that I will post the recipe of Sanet Batates (potatoes in the oven). It is a very popular dinner in Egypt usually served with rice. [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/36268-albums324-picture2628.jpg[/IMG] Ingredients: [LIST] [*]1 pound boneless veal cut into chunks, half boiled [*]6 potatoes, washed, peeled, sliced into 1 inch circles [*]1 onion, sliced [*]3 cloves garlic, minced [*]1 tomato, sliced [*]1 green pepper sliced [*]3 tablespoons tomato paste [*]1 tablespoons vegetable oil [*]1 teaspoon minced hail [*]1 teaspoon cumin [*]salt and pepper to taste [*]1 cup hot water [/LIST] Preparation: [LIST] [*]add all the veggies in an oven pan with the meat [*]add in the tomato paste, oil, hail, cumin, salt and pepper [*]pour in the hot water [*]place the pan on the stove on high until boiling [*]then place the pan in the oven at 300 oC for 45 min. or until the potatoes are red and tender [*]enjoy [/LIST] [B][FONT="] [/FONT][/B] 3 stars 1 reviews