Sanet Batates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrs.mom

Senior Cook
I promised yesterday that I will post the recipe of Sanet Batates (potatoes in the oven). It is a very popular dinner in Egypt usually served with rice.
36268-albums324-picture2628.jpg

Ingredients:

• ·1 pound boneless veal cut into chunks, half boiled
  • 6 potatoes, washed, peeled, sliced into 1 inch circles
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • 1 green pepper sliced
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced hail
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup hot water
Preparation:

• add all the veggies in an oven pan with the meat
  • add in the tomato paste, oil, hail, cumin, salt and pepper
  • pour in the hot water
  • place the pan on the stove on high until boiling
  • then place the pan in the oven at 300 oC for 45 min. or until the potatoes are red and tender
  • enjoy

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks great!! I've never cooked with veal ... could I substitute something else from a more mature cow for that portion of the dish?

And what is "minced hail"? I'm not having much luck with Google on that one but I am learning some great stuff about the precipitation kind that falls from the sky! :LOL:

It looks great!! I've never cooked with veal ... could I substitute something else from a more mature cow for that portion of the dish?

And what is "minced hail"? I'm not having much luck with Google on that one but I am learning some great stuff about the precipitation kind that falls from the sky! :LOL:
You can use any type of beef that you like. I sometimes make this with chicken pieces instead of beef.
About the hail, it is a very well known spice in the middle east. Maybe you know it by another name, cardamon. So I am showing you it's picture
36268-albums326-picture2630.jpg

You can use any type of beef that you like. I sometimes make this with chicken pieces instead of beef.

About the hail, it is a very well known spice in the middle east. Maybe you know it by another name, cardamon.

Thanks for the substitution suggestions. :chef: And I do know cardamon; I've both ground and dried whole pods. How much should I use of one or the other of those in place of the fresh?

Last edited:
Thanks for the substitution suggestions. :chef: And I do know cardamon; I've both ground and dried whole pods. How much should I use of one or the other of those in place of the fresh?
About 1 teaspoon. I also forgot to tell you about the beef, use any type of beef but cut the beef into thin slices or small cubes so that it takes the same time as the potatoes to get tender.

I promised yesterday that I will post the recipe of Sanet Batates (potatoes in the oven). It is a very popular dinner in Egypt usually served with rice.
36268-albums324-picture2628.jpg

Ingredients:

• ·1 pound boneless veal cut into chunks, half boiled
  • 6 potatoes, washed, peeled, sliced into 1 inch circles
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • 1 green pepper sliced
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced hail
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup hot water
Preparation:

• add all the veggies in an oven pan with the meat
  • add in the tomato paste, oil, hail, cumin, salt and pepper
  • pour in the hot water
  • place the pan on the stove on high until boiling
  • then place the pan in the oven at 300 oC for 45 min. or until the potatoes are red and tender
  • enjoy

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Pretty HOT!!! - 300 oC is 572 oF

Was that .1 pound or 1 pound of meat?

Pretty HOT!!! - 300 oC is 572 oF

Was that .1 pound or 1 pound of meat?
Bill mate a lot of this type of food was cooked in an outside wood fired oven after the bread had been made. I made it with lamb chunks but did not precook them the finish was brown but the meat was a bit tough.

Bill mate a lot of this type of food was cooked in an outside wood fired oven after the bread had been made. I made it with lamb chunks but did not precook them the finish was brown but the meat was a bit tough.
I understand about outside wood fueled ovens and have visited several towns that had a communal or town oven. However 572 F seems an awfully high temp for pyrex bakeware.

I understand about outside wood fueled ovens and have visited several towns that had a communal or town oven. However 572 F seems an awfully high temp for pyrex bakeware.
I don't always use a pyrex. Sometimes I use a tefal (non-stick) pan. But the temperature from 250-300 oC is o.k. with the pyrex. I actually have an electric oven that I usually use. Its max. temp. is 300 oC and I always use the max. temp.

I don't always use a pyrex. Sometimes I use a tefal (non-stick) pan. But the temperature from 250-300 oC is o.k. with the pyrex. I actually have an electric oven that I usually use. Its max. temp. is 300 oC and I always use the max. temp.

Several bad things happening here.

300C = 570F

Home stoves in the US don't generally get that hot.

It's not safe to use a pyrex dish like that in the picture on a stovetop

It's also not safe to put a non-stick pan into a 570 degree oven

And I suspect a lot of the food in the pan would burn if it were cooked at 570 degrees for 45 min.

Jenny I live in the UK, I bought my gas bompani range in Italy just because the max heat was 550f on the dial, when it is throbbing I tested it with a oven therm it reached 595f. I use max heat for a lot of things like Nan Bread non stick , Tandoori Chicken non stick and Sheperds Pie in a pyrex. I read on here about exploding pyrex and checked it out in the UK it appears to be a bit of an urban myth.

Exploding Pyrex is hardly an urban myth, sorry. No one should put a Pyrex baking dish on the stove burners.

And similarly most nonstick surfaces are safe only up to 450 or 500.

Believe me, I'm a fan of high heat ( translate -- in the US that's 450) cooking when the technique makes sense for what you are making. I often advocate it here. That said, while I think the recipe at hand looks delicious, I see little reason to cook it at 600 degrees, given the ingredients.

Exploding Pyrex is hardly an urban myth, sorry. No one should put a Pyrex baking dish on the stove burners.

And similarly most nonstick surfaces are safe only up to 450 or 500.

Believe me, I'm a fan of high heat ( translate -- in the US that's 450) cooking when the technique makes sense for what you are making. I often advocate it here. That said, while I think the recipe at hand looks delicious, I see little reason to cook it at 600 degrees, given the ingredients.
We have pyrex glass stove top to oven frying pans over here, and acording to "Which" a UK independant consumer body said "oh yes it is", maybe we have different pyrex to you. If I want to cook more pizza than fit on my pizza stone I use those non stick pizza pans with holes in. The very ethos of this type of cuisine originates from the use of intense heat from a wood fired oven.:)

Everything can't be "Americanized" and this recipe and cooking method seems to be one of them. =)

Pyrex is fine in the oven. That's what it's for. It's not safe over direct heat on a stovetop. It can explode in your face. That's why it has a warning stamped into the glass.

Nonstick coatings have various ratings and some (esp old stuff) begin to give off fumes at only 300 degrees. Others have higher ratings. A pizza pan is no doubt rated for higher heat than a Tfal skillet, which Tfal says is safe up to 350.

And yes, there is an "ethos" regarding the use of 600 degree ovens but that certainly doesn't mean it's necessary, especially given the ingredients and technique for this particular recipe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom